CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Wendy Nichols

Profile:
For the women

Hi girls. I'm nearly 50, had 9 lb babies in my 20's and ever since have had to deal with bladder leakage. Not bad enough for surgery, but enough that wearing a light pad during active sports is a necessity. So.... that continues for lifting, squatting, jumping, running (and sometimes coughing, sneezing.. hahaha).

If any of you experience the same thing, does it go away, or lighten up as one gets a stronger core? Have you noticed a difference, if any?

And are there other women here 50+? I'm a beginner with crossfit but have always had a very active lifestyle.

W.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: For the women

Hiya, Wendy and welcome!

I'm 52 yo, and also had a baby 9.5 lbs.

I had some urinary urgency and stress incontinence when I was heavy, but that went away when I got really fit.

Have you tried Kegel exercises?

Susie
Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

I'm no expert on this but it's my understanding that Pelvic Floor Dysfunction should decrease with greater lifting (without a belt) and other exercises designed to strengthen your midline (which, of course, includes your TVA.)

In other words, yes to lots of lifting and core work.

Also, on the amusing side, Wendy, I first read your post too quickly and thought that you had 9 babies in your 20's.

And, since it's a CrossFit board and we have to "throw down" in every aspect, I am forced to tell you both that I had a 10lb 4oz, 24" baby.

Ok, who's going to beat that? Come on, bring it!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

Get someone to coach you in Deadlifts! They work wonders!! Truly they do! They make that Pelvic Floor get really strong!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Welcome to crossfit! Just letting you know I'm 52 and just started Nov of 07. My bladder problem is different in that it's just "over-active" and sensitive. Everyone is giving you great advice about strengthening your core. Good luck and keep at it.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Wendy Nichols

Profile:

Funny girls!
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping that the more I did anything crossfit, the less the bladder dysfunction would occur.

I work out of town in an area with no gym, out in the bush. What I do like reading on this website is how creative members get with making things work. Right now I'm doing air squats, lunges, pushups, situps, and practice pullups with a metal pipe on top of two chairs... beginner ones, butt on the ground and then pull up.,,,,anything I can that doesn't require a bar and weights. I have found on my bush running route, a tree that has a branch I have to jump up to, that once I get the bark off will make a great pullup bar. Either that or carry gloves up there, and leave them for easy access so I don't hurt my hands. The branch is a little thick but that should make my hands strong I think.

And on my route, it's pretty rocky as well in places, so I'll do several things..... Carry a rock overhead like a .... waiter... that's it the waiter walk. or with a really heavy one I'll stop and do some squats while holding it.

Creativity and thinking outside the box. Then when I do get to a gym I'll be 25% ready for more!

W
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Ladies,

I have to share this w/ you. Not baby stuff (mine were a premie at 3#5oz and a fullterm at 6#4oz). But I was talking to a guy friend who works out at my gym and he knows I crossfit. And as we were hanging out, my girls were chatting as well and workouts came up and they showed him the 25 burpees we'd done on Sunday. Then my younger says that she can show him a hang power clearn ( I was soo proud) and she imitated the movements.

He started to insist that lifting wts like that needed a belt to protect your back and stuff. I just got irritated and then mad - becausue he wouldn't listen when I said that if you kept up your FORM, nothing like that would happen. And then I thought to myself, why waste my breathe on someone who doesnt' want to understand!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
Amanda Faulks

Profile:

Hey Wendy,

I love your outdoor workout ideas. I used to live in a small town up here in Canada and I had a crazy Russian Kickboxing coach. He took us out n the woods and had us lifting heavy rocks and running or walking up hills with rocks over our heads. I would love to follow along with your workouts if you started a workout log. If ya want any more ideas I am sure I can help you out as well.

Back to the previously scheduled programing....I concur with the previous posts about Deadifting and squatting exercises esp overhead squats for midline stabilization ie core work. Get a bit of coaching for that stuff to get form down and then you can let 'er rip on big rocks and logs in the woods.

Have fun
Amanda
Old 05-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

You're doing Kegels and whatnot already, right?
Tabata Kegels!

Er...I just make sure I pee before workouts and that deals with most of it. Situps on a non-empty bladder are not my friend. But I'm not 50+ and I haven't had babies.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Steven Quadros

Profile:

I hope the women don't mind some male input:

On Coach Rippetoe's discussion board at ************.com, he was asked a question about incontinence and female lifters. He said it was common during the deadlift for women to feel like they had to pee, though he also said that deadlifts were among the best things to train the muscles responsible for preventing said urination.

So, in addition to being one of the toughest, and best, exercises for you, the deadlift also trains the muscles of the pelvis, equally as important for men, though for other reasons.

Enjoy!