CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Greg Davis

Profile:
Hey I'm going to give Dr.Eades-style IF schedule a try (proteinpower.com/drmike). It calls for alternating 24 hour fasts, along the lines of:

Day1- eat until evening (eat breakfast and at work)
Day2- dont eat until evening (eat dinner when I get home)
Day3- repeat day1
etc.

Pretty simple, I like it cuz I can align it with my work schedule and make thing really efficient (ie. days where i dont eat dinner i have plans for after work)

My concern is on days where im not eating dinner, sometimes I would go rock climbing or something really active and then not eat until the next dinner. Seems like a long time not to eat after physical exercise. Anyone else tried to incorporate exercise with long periods of fasting after?
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
I've done this quite a bit, with no problem. No loss of weight, recovery seems great. It was only hard mentally at first after years of hearing "eat after exercise, eat after exercise...)

Scott Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Old 10-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
I'm just getting into IF and I am having a hard time both making it 15 hours between eating and not eating after workouts (which I generally do at night). I have a feeling it will get better as I get used to it, but there's nothing like being hungry. I'm just happy I am not eating by choice instead of not eating because food is scarce.

Does anyone suggest 24 hour fasts over 15 hours? Personally I think 15 hours seems less wild and is easier to explain to family members than not eating for a whole day.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Richard Boureston

Profile:

I was reading that you should then eat the blocks that you missed during the fasting day, if you are eating the Zone diet. Is that what you understand?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:34 AM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Richard-

Absolutely. One of the keys of IF is that you do not reduce caloric intake... only the timing of the intake. If you take 24 hours off of eating followed by a 24 hour eating window, then you need to eat twice what your normally would.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Richard Boureston

Profile:

Day1- eat until evening (eat breakfast and at work)
Day2- dont eat until evening (eat dinner when I get home)
Day3- repeat day1
--------------------------

So if I don't eat dinner, breakfast, snack then at dinner and night snack would I make up for all that after 5pm until I go to bed or do I make up for it over dinner, night snack, breakfast, lunch and snack?

Am I making sense?
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
Todd Learn

Profile:
I do not believe that a specific schedule is best for intermittent fasting. I believe DeVany's idea of varying length of fasts and daily intake is better than a specific schedule. Having said that there is some pattern to the IF plan I have been trying. Due to my shift as a Firefighter. (2-10 hour days, 2-14 hour nights, and 4 days off)I find it easy to fast all day while I am at home and do all of my eating on shift. On my 4 days off I vary my food intake according to my activity level. (Climbing, skiing, etc.) I guess what I am saying is vary your IF schedule and make it fit into your daily routine. I think you will find it easier to do and maybe even more effective. Just my thoughts. :happy:

Cheers,
Todd Learn
Old 10-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
I fully agree with Todd. I mix up my schedule constantly. One of the issues of the Performance Menu has my eating schedule times for a whole month. (I don't remember which one right now) I keep it random, the only difference is that my average fasts are a bit longer now.

Richard- if I do the 24 on/off plan, the first day I just eat all my food before noon or so, then I don't eat again until around noon the next day. I eat all of that day's food between noon and bedtime, trying to finish a few hours before bed. You end up going 24 hrs with no food, and eating two day's worth of food in 24 hours. However, you still get to eat a day's worth of food each calendar day.

Scott Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Old 10-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
As for the 15hr mark. . . that is usually the break through point. If my last meal was 'good' stuff, I usually hit the wall at 13 - 15hrs. Once I get past that, it is pretty darn easy to go for a while.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
Brad Kohler

Profile:
I usuually do IF for 15-18 hrs periods. I find if I drink espresso/Americana's and lots of bottled water 1:2 ratio it supresses my appetite and rev's me up for the WOD and dont have a problem with hunger until I know that my time to eat is right around the corner.
Hope this helps.