CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
today i bought some zinc (got a scratchy sore throat, thought i would catch it before it develops) and in the ingredients is has listed zinc gluconate, cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, corn starch, stearic acid, magnessium sterate and silicon dioxide.

So what is all of this stuff? are they just fillers? and are they harmful to me?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Yes, those are fillers. In addition, the literature still isn't conclusive as to whether zinc may prevent a cold or not. You're best bet is to eat raw garlic.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
intersting, raw garlic...sorry to be nieve, but how do i go about that? Can i find that at a local super market such as albertsons?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
Joshua Kemper

Profile:
Natural remedies for colds and flus, including garlic and literature citations. Looks like zinc could help, but only if you are deficient, and garlic could help if you've been taking it before you actually get sick. You can add raw garlic (found at nearly any market in the produce section) to your diet. The referenced web site says "1 or 2 raw garlic cloves per day are adequate for most purposes."
Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Buy a bulb of garlic at the store, peel some of the cloves, cut into manageable pieces, and swallow the pieces, like you would a supplement tablet.

From http://homemakers.com/HomeMakers/client/en/Health/DetailNews.asp?idNews=1721&idS M=194 (work/family safe):

Garlic power

According to research by Dr. James North, at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, garlic can prevent cold and flu viruses if taken early enough. North's findings show that garlic is effective in killing the human rhinovirus, which causes colds. Dr. Andrew Weil, M.D. and author of Natural Health, Natural Medicine (Walker & Co., 1998) also believes in the cold-fighting benefits of garlic: "The best home remedy I have found for colds is to eat several cloves of raw garlic at the first onset of symptoms... Cut in chunks and swallow whole like pills... I recommend one or two cloves a day."
}
Old 02-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:
"...garlic is effective in killing the human rhinovirus, which causes colds."

Yes, and in those dosages it's probably good at killing off spouses and significant others, too! ;)
Old 02-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
My expereince is consistent with Dr. Weil's. I personally put my raw garlic through a mincer ( a small clamp-like device with holes in it that basically strains the garlic). When you crush garlic you propagate the release of allicin, the active ingredient in garlic. Make sure you crush it or cut it up like Dr. G had mentioned. It also must be raw. Cooking garlic destroys virtually all of the allicin, rendering it's medicinal properties defunct. Garlic is my personal favorite of heal-all foods. It has proven incredibly effective in everything from boosting the immune systme to reducing heart disease risk. Excellent stuff.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Watch the dosage on the raw garlic though. It can be irritating, and even damaging, to the gut lining.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Scott's right on that one. Been there, done that, once when I had a cold and was taking a fully crushed clove every hour. I stopped after the second burning episode was over.

I've found that taking the cut-up cloves only had me smelling a bit like garlic (not my breath, actually my pores) for a couple of days. Then that all vanished and hasn't ever come back. I'm guessing that I was deficient in something the garlic provided, once I was stocked up, no odor anymore. Seems paradoxical on the surface.

I have noticed that people who eat garlic the least are the ones who tend to have the most issues with garlic odor (through their skin).
Old 02-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Interesting - thanks for the info, Garrett! I grew up eating tons of garlic, coming from an Italian family, but don't use it nearly as much now that I'm in charge of my own food. Might start working it back in gradually though!