CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-28-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Tony Ferous

Profile:
Any opinion on the reliability of a 'zinc tally' test?

Zinc Tally was developed by Dr. Bryce Smith of London for the treatment of anorexia, because all other forms of zinc could not be absorbed. This was due to a defect in the mucosal absorption mechanisms, which are dependent on zinc. This was a ‘catch 22’ situation where zinc (and other elements) could not be absorbed due to the underlying mucosal zinc deficiency. Dr. Smith found that liquid zinc was the only form of zinc able to bypass this intestinal blockade. Liquid zinc is now recognised as a reliable way to replenish zinc and assess zinc status by virtue of the taste response.

http://www.metagenics.com.au/shop/in...on=item&id=253
Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Dan Dascalescu

Profile:
Lightbulb Re: Zinc Tally

I was wondering the same thing, and found various studies that somewhat contradict themselves. One of them claims the accuracy rate of the zinc taste test is >70%, but was done in pregnant women (zinc taste test compared with serum test). Another (older) study says there's no connection.

I went ahead and bought the zinc taste test solution and did the test. According to that, I have a major zinc deficiency, although I don't really have symptoms. Nevertheless, I'm taking 25mg of zinc picolinate daily, and will take subsequent taste tests to see if there is any difference.

The studies I quoted and my research on zinc supplementation can be found at http://wiki.dandascalescu.com/review.../vitamins#Zinc