CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Mitch Medeiros

Profile:
Painted/vinyl lettering inside

I'm wanting to put some motivational quotes on the walls but I'm not sure which way to go. If you you've done it,

Are you happy with how it turned out?

Did you put it up on a high traffic area (subject to hspu's, wall ball shots) or an untouched wall?

Is it holding up well?

Did you paint yourself, have someone else do it, get lettering printed, or something else?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Brent Amey

Profile:
Re: Painted/vinyl lettering inside

I had someone paint it and it looks okay. I didn't do vinyl lettering because the wall was cinder blocks and I don't like the bubble look. I like the look but I didn't think about people doing wall climbs and handstand holds on the wall. They got a bit smeared. I'd like to look into getting plexiglass but haven't got around to it yet.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Just a thought - if you had your phrase/whatever printed on a banner, you could hang it where you want, and move it if it becomes inconvenient.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 AM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

Ive been in several boxes that have big murals on the wall with their logo and other artwork, but it is usually on a wall that doesnt see much/any use. If it were just used for wallballs i dont see that it could hurt anything, but i wouldnt want people doing anything over the artwork unless it were covered somehow.

Brent brings up an awesome point, if you have nowhere else to do a logo then you can just do on any wall you want and put up a couple pieces of plexi where people would be doing HSPUs.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Just a thought - if you had your phrase/whatever printed on a banner, you could hang it where you want, and move it if it becomes inconvenient.
That's what we do -- super easy to change later on as well.

Plus we don't have much in the way of walls, being mostly a couple of shipping containers and a huge canopy...
Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post
Plus we don't have much in the way of walls, being mostly a couple of shipping containers and a huge canopy...
Much respect Mark, thats pretty awesome.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I've done both vinyl lettering and painted lettering.

The vinyl lettering looks best - clean edges, sharp lines. There is a little learning curve to applying it to the wall, but it's not bad. We placed them about 12' up on the wall, above where wall ball throws would affect the lettering. When the gym expanded, the wall with the lettering was torn out. There wasn't a good way to remove and reuse the lettering, so it went with the wall. Had to reorder new vinyl letters for the new wall. That's where the advantage of a banner would be useful. Still, I think vinyl lettering on the wall is the best look, even better than a banner.

The lettering I painted was on the lifting platforms. The platforms were sanded, then the lettering painted, and finally a coating of polyurethane. The polyurethane protected the lettering from wear, even though it's a high use, high traffic area. Painting lettering takes more time and attention than vinyl lettering to make it look good.