CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #31
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: CrossFit is not a sport

Nothing a weekend cert wouldn't solve
Old 06-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #32
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Sounds to me like you should be compensated for your time. At a minimum have your travel, lodging, and meals covered. HQ is profiting off of the games, minimally compensation shouldn't be an issue.
Is CrossFit HQ actually profiting significantly off of the CrossFit Games?

I don't know the answer for sure and am not privy to HQs books and records, but seriously doubt it is a big profit center. It was likely never intended to be a profit center and never will be unless there is a large TV contract offered someday.

Given all the money poured into TV production this year to make it available live for us on the internet, renting the Regionals venues for almost a week, renting the equipment (even at reduced rates based on sponsorships), renting the facility in Carson, maintaining IT staff for all the online reporting and info, paying out the prize money, paying the salaries and travel expenses for those organizing and running it year round, and so on I doubt the Games is a big money maker. Any money generated likely simply goes into the pot to help expand and improve things the following year. I've been involved in planning and running some sizable events which seem to be very profitable to someone looking at it from the outside but when you add up all the expenses it is a far different story.

I do not believe it is a correct assumption that the Games is a big profit center.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #33
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Even if they don't make a ton of money directly from the games, the games have made them a ton of money by increasing the popularity of crossfit. I still have a feeling they do just fine.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #34
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Even if they don't make a ton of money directly from the games, the games have made them a ton of money by increasing the popularity of crossfit. I still have a feeling they do just fine.
Certainly the popularity of the Games has helped CrossFit, and vice versa. But I would respectfully suggest that extraction of maximum profits out of this business is not what CrossFit is about. Which makes CrossFit someone unique and in the minority for major companies if you ask me--it is nice to see. CrossFit is still run more like a small family business with a single owner who has motives other than just profits.

If you dig a little you will see that Greg Glassman has had opportunities to sell out (literally and figuratively) to sponsors and/or private equity firms who want to get their greedy hands on the CrossFit name brand for the pursuit of higher profits. He has resisted those temptations, likely to his own financial detriment. By all accounts he appears to be a very principled person with important motives other than just making money. There are videos available of him lecturing where he discusses his own economic beliefs and his business model for CrossFit. I don't necessarily agree with all his beliefs but I understand them well (I have a degree in economics) and agree with a lot of those he has expressed in publicly available media. I'd say his most important motive clearly is not making as much money as possible, in fact far from it he has foregone available profits for the benefit of other important motives.

I'm not going to go through the reasons professional judges are likely not feasible. Christopher Woods has done so in a previous post. But I would suggest it is off base to criticize CrossFit HQ's actions in regard to judging based on economic motives. It is clear to me that maximum monetary gain is not what CrossFit HQ is after with the Games or CrossFit as a whole. I'm sure they will always evaluate and try to improve judging in the Open, Regionals, and Games every year, which is appropriate, but selling out on judging in an effort to maximize profits is not and likely never will be an issue under the current CrossFit leadership.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #35
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

The crossfit games has definitely helped the exponential growth of the number of affliates which is the biggest earner for crossfit

They are doing very well from the games and i think the sponsorship dollars would cover the production costs

Rogue is making a ton from crossfit nowadays
Old 06-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #36
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

How many other profit making companies do we expect to volunteer for? There is zero reason that their travel, lodging, and food should not be covered at a minimum. This isn't a charity but hey, I would take free labor too if I could get away with it and have others defend it.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #37
Chris Mason

Profile:

Luke, one reason is that if people are willing to volunteer then why should they pay for them?

Another reason is that the CrossFit community has ALWAYS been very supportive and it was done that way from the start. Tradition is a powerful force.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #38
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Luke, one reason is that if people are willing to volunteer then why should they pay for them?

Another reason is that the CrossFit community has ALWAYS been very supportive and it was done that way from the start. Tradition is a powerful force.
From HQ's perspective of course they would use volunteers if people are willing. Problems arise when your judges either stop volunteering or the quality drops. If a qualified judge like Sean decides he is sick of people complaining about the judges and the fact that it costs him money to judge then you might see those types dropping off.

I am not saying give them major compensation but for what they do, it would be a nice gesture to at least cover their costs associated with volunteering.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #39
David Finney

Profile:

Quote:
Sounds to me like you should be compensated for your time. At a minimum have your travel, lodging, and meals covered. HQ is profiting off of the games, minimally compensation shouldn't be an issue.
This is a question I've always had. Why does everyone volunteer to work the games? Are you compensated in any way? I know there are plenty of people making money off the games, so it doesn't seem like there is a need for volunteers.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #40
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Finney View Post
This is a question I've always had. Why does everyone volunteer to work the games? Are you compensated in any way? I know there are plenty of people making money off the games, so it doesn't seem like there is a need for volunteers.
For most people, I think, it was that they started Crossfit thanks to a free website that introduced them, then onto an affiliated gym with a great community (I have been to several different CF gyms, and can say that each one is full of exceptional people).

Lots of people also have careers that are, full or in part, dedicated to Crossfit now. Volunteering is a way in which they give back to the 'sport'/community that has given them a lot.

I have volunteered at a couple of local comps, and would do it at regionals if they werent always in Vancouver (a province and a half away!). I do it really just to be a part of it. There is always a good atmosphere and its just fun!