CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Seth Church

Profile:
What to do with Wendler 531?

I broke my arm 3 weeks ago, had surgery, got a big scar, going to therapy- the whole thing. I was in the middle of my second cycle of the wendler 531 program. Right now my arm (mostly the nerve moved during surgery) doesnt really work. Obviously no shoulderpress or bench, but i cant deadlift because i cant hold heavy weight in that arm, and cant hold more than the bar on my back for back squats. So once i get better, hopefully in another month or so, what should i do as far as this goes? Should I re-find my maxes and just start over? Any other suggestions with things i can do with my injury would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Jim O'Brien

Profile:
Re: What to do with Wendler 531?

Here is an article Jim wrote about his shoulder rehab.....
http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/03/jim-wendler-in-rehab/
I know it's not the exact same thing but maybe you can get some tips.

One thing I would suggest is to NOT try to find your Max lifts right away. You need to take some time just going through the motions to get the movements right. Since you mentioned nerves being moved and it not really working I would think it may take some time to get used to moving again not to mention lifting weights.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

I would build up nice and slow over the course of a month to get the structures re-adapted with the demands you'll be placing on them, and then reevaluate maxes.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O'Brien View Post
One thing I would suggest is to NOT try to find your Max lifts right away. You need to take some time just going through the motions to get the movements right. Since you mentioned nerves being moved and it not really working I would think it may take some time to get used to moving again not to mention lifting weights.
I second this. I also wouldn't put a time frame on when you want to get better either. You might feel better sooner or possibly later. Trying to begin after a month because it seems like it's been long enough might be inviting more injury.

Listen to your body and come back very slowly like everyone else had said. Patience is big.