CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Joey Allen

Profile:
Re: $600 budget for barbell, what to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Du View Post
DHS Training barbell.
It's simply a great barbell. Have not used Pendlay bearing but I do like the knurl better than the pendlay bushing I've used before. Some people say its a rough knurl but I think it is actually very soft! It feels great imo.
+ what is a dealbreaker imo... dynamic eleiko ships DHS bars in an absolutely impervious box with a load of syrofoam... Rogue ships their bars in a really weak flimsy tube that I cannot trust, and pendlay ships it in an extremely tough tube which is good. I'm sure we've all seen fedex guys toss a monitor marked fragile over a fence... Can't imagine what they will do with basically a piece of metal but I know that the dhs/pendlay would survive anything.
Good info there. Thanks for that. Yeah, I've gotten 2 bars from Rogue so far and both bars were marked up pretty good during shipping. I'm curious to see if the Ivanko I have coming will be shipped any differently.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Allen View Post
Lot of great options with that budget.. can't really go wrong with the higher end Rogue or Pendlay bars.

Just throwing this out there.. Ivanko has their stainless steel olympic bar in the clearance section right now for half off due to a minor cosmetic defect in the knurl. I just placed my order for one to use as an all-purpose bar.. They're a great company with awesome, USA made products. I've heard great things about the spin and craftsmanship on the Ivankos, but haven't had the chance to use one yet. I'll probably post a little review here once mine comes in and I get some use on it..

Other than that.. Mike was dead on with his post. Rogue seems to have a slightly more aggressive knurl than Pendlay. I'm sure the spin on both are wonderful. You've got a win-win situation there. Good luck!
Thanks for the heads up.

Link: http://ivankobarbell.com/products/ol...bar_clearance/ (WFS)
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Tony Victor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post
The higher end Rogue bars are 28mm, like the Pendlay NB bar. It's only the standard Rogue bars that have the larger shaft. This, I understand, allows them to save money b/c the larger diameter 28.5 size is some kind of standard.
I think they save money because they can use a less expensive steel, and still guarantee the thing against bending. Rogue advertises their bar as a "do everything bar," a compromise, good for power lifts, but enough whip and spin for Olympic lifts.

I just bought one, the Rogue bar, the one for $275. I couldn't justify the money for a bearing bar, as I'm just a complete beginner and I doubt I could appreciate benefits of a bearing bar. I was considering the Pendlay nexgen bushing bar, but it would cost me another $75 over the Rogue. Even IF the Pendlay bar has $75 worth of benefits over the Rogue bar, again, being a rank beginner, I doubt I would notice or appreciate such benefits. I'd rather put the 75 bucks towards shoes.

As it turns out, the Rogue bar that I received had a small cosmetic defect, a dime-sized spot right next to the collar, that received no black zinc treatment. The bright zinc undercoat was intact. I sent Roque a pic, and they quickly replied, offered an exchange with free immediate shipment, or they would give me a $50 gift card. I took the card, lowering my net cost to $225.

I'm happy with my decision to get the Roque bar. I'll have it forever, and in a year or so, I'll hopefully have the skill and insight to purchase a dedicated Olympic bearing bar.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
Tony Victor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
I would buy a Pendlay Nexgen Bearing Bar. In fact it will be darn tough for me not to pull the trigger on one as soon as they are back in stock.
Pendlay.com shows them to be in stock. A post by Glenn Pendlay on his forum confirms that the new bars are 28mm, and higher quality steel, which I guess is required, since the new bar has a smaller diameter than the old bar.

Last edited by Tony Victor : 01-28-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Victor View Post
Pendlay.com shows them to be in stock. A post by Glenn Pendlay on his forum confirms that the new bars are 28mm, and higher quality steel, which I guess is required, since the new bar has a smaller diameter than the old bar.
The bearing bar is still the same 28mm. Only the HD bar is going from 28.4 to 28mm even.

OP, I would go Pendlay bearing, no question for that budget!! DHS is good, but just a tad slippery with the chrome, IMHO, and I've lifted on both. Personally, I think the Pendlay bar is the best until you get to the "real" bars (Uesaka, Eleiko, and Werksan) which run closer to 800+!!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
I would buy a Pendlay Nexgen Bearing Bar. In fact it will be darn tough for me not to pull the trigger on one as soon as they are back in stock.
Hands down... the Pendlay NexGen Bearing Bar

http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...en-bearing-bar WFS
Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Pendlay.

Looks like most votes all side there.

The Blackjack bar cant be viewed as a wrong choice though.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Clint Harris

Profile:

As an aside, I'd be amazed the difference between 28.5 and 28mm would be that noticeable. I mean, it's literally this big -> l (and about 1.6mm in circumference difference). 1/2 a mm is pretty small.
I'd bet the thicker rouge bar is the beater @31mm. That is definitely noticeable (is horrible). 3mm is this thick -> lll (and is now 9-10mm difference in circumference).
Much like the difference between the boy and girl bars @28.5 and 25 respectively.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
As an aside, I'd be amazed the difference between 28.5 and 28mm would be that noticeable. I mean, it's literally this big -> l (and about 1.6mm in circumference difference). 1/2 a mm is pretty small.
I'd bet the thicker rouge bar is the beater @31mm. That is definitely noticeable (is horrible). 3mm is this thick -> lll (and is now 9-10mm difference in circumference).
Much like the difference between the boy and girl bars @28.5 and 25 respectively.
It depends on how big or small your hands are. Personally, I notice it especially in the snatch, with wider grip and medium to small hands, I can feel the difference. With cleans, not so much. If you're not hook gripping the bar, I doubt you'll notice it though!!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
The Blackjack bar cant be viewed as a wrong choice though.
I'd give it a No.

The Blackjack from what I know is a rebranded Rogue Burgener Bearing Bar.

I love Rogue's stuff and I'm even a fan of their standard Rogue bar. But I've lifted on the Rogue Burgener Bearing Bar, and for the extra money, I cannot justify getting it. It's always the last bar to get picked during weightlifting classes. Eleikos get grabbed up first... then the DHS Bars... then the Pendlays... then the York... then the Burgener Bearing Bar. Assuming the Blackjack is indeed the same bar (but with different coating), then I definitely say get either the Pendlay or the DHS bar.

My personal vote is the DHS bar for that price range. I definitely prefer using it over the Pendlay AND it's cheaper. However, the Pendlay does have a nice lifetime warranty and that may be worth the peace of mind for sure.