CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Dylan Dreiling

Profile:
Crossfit training split?

Hey everyone!

So I've got a problem. For the past few years I had been following a very bodybuilding like training program and training split (Push, Pull, Squat). But since starting crossfit I have been experiencing great difficulty trying to balance my training. Is there any particular training split anyone would recommend? I'm leaning strongly towards gaining strength. Especially in my legs.

Any advice is welcome,
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Crossfit training split?

Look into CFFB, GSLP, or 5/3/1.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Are you planning on doing Main Page CF workouts with a strength program? Or were you trying to figure out a way to do CF style workouts in bodybuilder's fashion?

In the first regard, CF WOD's blend well with 5/3/1, GSLP, Westside Programs and CrossFit football. Search/google and read about those. They balance good strength programs with limited metcons. Roughly 3-4 days of strength work with 2-3 CF style metcons a week. Some variance of course based on the program and your level of training. Most of these don't follow a traditional bodybuilding split by either a full body strength session or upper/lower split.

In the second case, if you are trying to do CF with a push/pull/legs split I think you are missing the boat for crossfit. It wouldn't make sense to do push wod on Monday, a pull wod on Tuesday and a leg WOD on Wed. CF falls into the realm of functional fitness. So in the realm of practicality, when do you only use legs or only use back? I'm not saying a bodybuilding split is bad, it just doesn't fit the intentions of a CF only program.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Dylan Dreiling

Profile:

I do not plan on doing the main CrossFit page workouts. I will definitely check out your recommended programs. I guess most of my question comes from my hesitation to work muscles while they are sore as I don't want to overtrain (you know, all that bodybuilding crap).

I am really very good at picking exercises for a certain training day. It has just been difficult because I cant figure out what to work that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Are you planning on doing Main Page CF workouts with a strength program? Or were you trying to figure out a way to do CF style workouts in bodybuilder's fashion?

In the first regard, CF WOD's blend well with 5/3/1, GSLP, Westside Programs and CrossFit football. Search/google and read about those. They balance good strength programs with limited metcons. Roughly 3-4 days of strength work with 2-3 CF style metcons a week. Some variance of course based on the program and your level of training. Most of these don't follow a traditional bodybuilding split by either a full body strength session or upper/lower split.

In the second case, if you are trying to do CF with a push/pull/legs split I think you are missing the boat for crossfit. It wouldn't make sense to do push wod on Monday, a pull wod on Tuesday and a leg WOD on Wed. CF falls into the realm of functional fitness. So in the realm of practicality, when do you only use legs or only use back? I'm not saying a bodybuilding split is bad, it just doesn't fit the intentions of a CF only program.

Last edited by Dylan Dreiling : 01-28-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

While there are plenty of discussions about programs to increase your strength and adding in crossfit, I don't really know of anyone who has done a program for hypertrophy and crossfit. The programs listed above are strength related, not bodybuilding style programs.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Actually, both GSLP and 5/3/1 (if you use the boring but big assistance template) are somewhat geared for hypertrophy, just not to the level of a true bodybuilding type workout.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Smith View Post
Actually, both GSLP and 5/3/1 (if you use the boring but big assistance template) are somewhat geared for hypertrophy, just not to the level of a true bodybuilding type workout.
True, but neither was written with cf in mind. Of course some people have adapted it but you get my drift. Like old Tamera said, yndtp. lol
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
True, but neither was written with cf in mind. Of course some people have adapted it but you get my drift. Like old Tamera said, yndtp. lol
You're right, and Wendler has some pretty pointed opinions on Crossfit, but he did provide a template for 5/3/1 + crossfit in the 2nd edition 5/3/1 book. He just thinks you would be better served doing prowler work/hill sprints/strongman conditioning...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post

Conditioning IS a huge part of 5/3/1. It's in the book. Wendler is hell bent on it.

It's beyond me how so many people miss this aspect of 5/3/1.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Smith View Post
You're right, and Wendler has some pretty pointed opinions on Crossfit, but he did provide a template for 5/3/1 + crossfit in the 2nd edition 5/3/1 book. He just thinks you would be better served doing prowler work/hill sprints/strongman conditioning...
I can't arguee with him at all on his thoughts on conditioning, in fact I tend to agree with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Martin View Post
Conditioning IS a huge part of 5/3/1. It's in the book. Wendler is hell bent on it.

It's beyond me how so many people miss this aspect of 5/3/1.
I haven't read the book.