CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
is it considered "cheating" if one uses a fan to cool down his/her body while doing a piece in order to keep up the intensity of the rowing?

heat fatigue seems to be a problem for me. I notice a significant improvement in performance when I cool myself down this way.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Troy Archie

Profile:
Hell no. I've worked out in some hot places with intense humidity and have just about passed out because of it.

Passing out and having to go to the hospital because of dehydration or use a fan and have it considered cheating by someone? hmmm let me think...

(Message edited by troy on February 07, 2007)
Old 02-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:
Not to mention that passing out and going to the hospital plays havoc with your WOD times. I'm actually heating up my gym right now before I start. I don't move too quickly when it's cold out. Either way, staying in your comfort zone as best you can is not cheating and just makes you perform better. David
Old 02-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Actually, I think passing out and getting hospitalized is cheating, unless you wait until the end of the WOD to do it. :haha:
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Lynne,

Reference your comment... if I pass out during a timed WOD (Diane, Fran, etc) and have to be taken to the hospital does this count against my time? Should I have a note pinned to my chest that requests the medics stopped the clock?

Dan
Old 02-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Got to leave that stopwatch running...and apply an extra penalty for the work avoidance!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Bob Pratt

Profile:
Franklin,
to answer you question it 'depends' (isn't that an astronaughts diaper?)

If your training to row in Washington State in the fall and it's 80' at your erg i'd say use the fan. But if your training a week before going to USC for a race; suffer in the heat now so you'll be better prepared later.

good luck

bob
Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
Jason Scully

Profile:
Definitely not cheating in my opinion. If you're still getting the work done and possibly more work then it seems good to me.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Bryan Veis

Profile:
I was going to agree that "it depends," but then I realized that it's a non-issue unless you define "erging" to mean "erging without a fan or any 'assistance' of any kind." Lots of people on the C2forum website use fans, particularly on long rows; they also drink water and stand up and walk around when doing long rows.

In any event, something is "cheating" only if there are "rules" against it, as in a game or sport. "Indoor rowing" is, at best, a contrived sport. It's great exercise, but competing to see who can turn in the best performance on an exercise machine is not a "sport." I realize that a lot of people compete, and they are very serious about it, but it's no more a "sport" than, say, stationary bicycle races or a competition to see who can run the longest or fastest on a treadmill or elliptical machine.

Your question reminds me of the way my high school crosscountry coach refused to let us drink water during workouts He wanted us to "toughen up" while running 6+ mile workouts in August. He was an idiot, or he reflected the state of "physical education" education in the 1960's, depending on one's point of view. (The two are not mutually exclusive, by the way.)

Your goal, presumably, is to get the most out of your rowing workout. Dehydration or heat exhaustion won't do anything to help that. If it helps your erging, then turn the fan on. The only time that you may not have a choice on that is if you participate in a competition like the CRASH-B's or any of the regional erg sprints. You most likely won't need a fan in any event, though, because the events are held in the winter.

If you are training to row on water, then the considerations might be somewhat different, as Bob points out above. I infer from the fact that you asked the question that you are probably not an on-water rower, though.

One other point you may want to think about is what kind (i.e., length) of pieces you are rowing. If you are doing a hard 2K at your maximum ability, then a fan isn't going to help in any event. You will exhaust yourself before you overheat yourself. If you are doing 30 minute or longer pieces or some kind of interval training, then it probably would help considerably, so that you train your body to perform rather than training your body to recover (or not) from overheating.

PS. I hope this doesn't come across as a rant. It's not meant to be, but, well, maybe it is. I have spent too much time around "indoor rowers" who take themselves much too seriously.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #10
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
Thank you for your commentary, Bryan. I have rowed on water as you say but the last time I did that was decades ago... :blush:

My goal in rowing as I said before is to keep the intensity as high as possible for as long as possible whether it is 500m, 1k, 2k or some other distance.