CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Edward Guzman

Profile:
My Garage Gym Project

Here is yet another post on gear. I think a few of us have appreciated pic sharing because of the effort involved in pulling together a small box.

These efforts may include:
1. Finding an alternate space for the car(s).
2. Cleaning the garage and organizing contents.
3. Making sure non-exercise items are accessible but not in the way.
4. Convincing spouse that the space should be dedicated to Crossfitting.
(Number 4 should probably be number 1).

Anyway here are some pics of my mostly Rogue-outfitted setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6150.JPG
Views:	886
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	6204  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6151.JPG
Views:	813
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	6205  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6152.JPG
Views:	720
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	6206  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6149.JPG
Views:	699
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	6207  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6153.JPG
Views:	838
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	6208  

Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: My Garage Gym Project

Looks great. Don't see too many Model E's around

Curious though... Why did you bother with the pullup brackets when you have those two huge beams right above them? Why not just anchor them directly?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Maggie Bernard

Profile:

I love seeing pictures, especially since I'm currently in the design phase to do a basement gym. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Edward Guzman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
Looks great. Don't see too many Model E's around

Curious though... Why did you bother with the pullup brackets when you have those two huge beams right above them? Why not just anchor them directly?
Rower
Wow, you have a good eye. I can't see the Model E on the rower in the pic. That is one of my least satisfying purchases. I paid $925 and it already had 960,000 km. But I use it like crazy. And Concept contacted me when I purchased it from Xeno (Olympic rower). They said any part that wears is easily replaceable.

About the Pull-up bar -
I don't know how you mean. Anchor the pullup brackets or the pull-up pipe? The darker colored beams overhead are 2x4s and not very sturdy for vertical force (has too much give). I think they are intended to laterally brace the garage frame. And at that from front to back only, not side to side. I could have done as I've seen others do on these boards and sister brace the 2x4s with a couple of beams each, but given that they run the length of the garage that is already getting much more expensive and complicated.

Since I was 278lbs when I began doing pull-ups, I opted for a bit of overbuild. People at Rogue DID NOT tell me what to do but they told me what others have tried and worked. So I went with running two 2x8 stringers across the shelving system already built into the garage. I countersunk the brackets (1/2 diameter) for the lag screws. Then placed the brackets on it.

If I get what you mean, I suppose I could have placed the pipe over the beams (darker ones) and screwed blocks in on top of the beams on either side of the pipe to avoid movement. Somewhere on this forum there is just such an example. The problem is as I mentioned to much vertical give. Not to mention the possibility of not rolling (due to being blocked on either side) but rotating in place with kipping. My grip is nowhere near the Crossfit Central style of rotating pull-up bar.

The current setup is rock solid and already hard to reach for most. I am 6'3" and have to jump. My wife is 5'11" and she loathes pull-ups because they are so far up. I use the plyo-boxes to step up for her or anyone else. Another 4 inches up would be a non-starter for the wife.
The stringers are great because with kipping they distribute the dynamic load across and broadly up and down the wall.

Apologies for the long post. I put a lot of thought into it, but really appreciate an insight into a better build. Always seeking to improve. Maybe you see something I don't. I study these builds with a exam-like focus.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Donald Rice

Profile:

Wow that is a really nice setup. You officially have all the toys I want. I am definetly jealous of that Sorinex GHD. I am currently using a wall mounted pipe and a swiss ball resting in a skidder tire get the job done. I had a couple of questions. Is that a buddy lee jumprope? If so, does it really make a difference for double unders? I have been debating whether to upgrade. Also, what size plyo boxes do you feel are the most necessary? How do the metal boxes compare to the wooden ones we usually see in crossfit? I usually use an old picnic table, seems to be somewhere between 24 and 30 inches. What weights are your dynamax ball and slam ball? Lastly, when you do wall ball shots, do you just go outside and use the side of the house? My ceilings are only nine feet, so I dont know whether to scale up with more reps, or what.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of getting a piple flanges on each side of a bar that fits between those darker colored beams overhead. This solves your rotating problem as the bar would be fixed. As to the vertical give... I guess it's hard to tell from the pictures, but I guess you could have just lag screwed a larger 2x4 (I used a 4x8 on mine for sheer overkill) across each of those darker overhead beams so that it spans 4 of them (this will stiffen the structure and distribute the load over more beams). I just figured wood was cheaper than those pullup brackets that's all.

I really do like your setup I gotta post updated pictures of mine... it looks totally different than what's in my signature.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
Edward Guzman

Profile:

Jeremy -

I see! I wasn't familiar with "pipe flanges." After looking it up, I can see how I could have foregone using pull-up brackets. Brackets were about $180. This would have been good to know. I purchased them before collecting any other piece of equipment. The new brackets are really affordable.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Edward Guzman

Profile:

Donald -

Thanks. The GHD is quite possibly my favorite piece; everyone uses it. I definitely have no regrets there. It has improved my back squat exponentially. And my right knee pain (severe at times) has disappeared. Even with all the promotion that GHDs get it is definitely underrated.

The rope is not the buddy lee. It is Powermax. Too long. I quickly got the hang of jumping rope and now the length is too extreme for fast jumping. It has a pretty quick internal bearing but the issue of length slow it down unless I pull my arms out uncomfortably wide.
About DUs: I'm still tuck jumping.

Box Jumps:
Wooden ones rock. I like the feel of wood. There may be a nice flex feedback. kind of like gymnasium flooring. Doesn't stack though. Metal pluses: super tough and easily stackable. Metal minuses, your foot can catch the inside bottom edge. Very awkward fall. Has happened to my sons a few times (thank god for rubber flooring).
Necessary sizes; hard to say. Overtime, I started on the 18", then progressed to placing a Hi-Temp bumper on it for 21", then up to 24" for Wods. If your wife works out with you I would get an 18" and 24". You can use bumpers to scale. My son's do a lot of box jumping so the set comes in handy. I got the set for really cheap from this guy
http://www.theexerciseman.com/plyoboxes/plyoboxeshp.htm (WFS) I just picked them up. Plus he gave me a grad student discount.

Rogue has a good supply, you are about a days drive from them. But you can check out a local shop with a CNC. They could bang out a perfect fit box in 10 min, for a small fee. You supply the wood. Or go to a local welder and price a few metal boxes. There are plans everywhere.

Dynamax ball: 20lbs.
Slam ball: 30lbs.
Yes, for wallballs I use the side of the garage. I go to the outside wall of the garage where I've fastened cardboard 10 feet up. I used to just aim to a 10 foot spot between the rafters in the garage ceiling. But that trajectory was a bit to vertical with the ball hitting me square in the face. Wall ball WODs made me feel like I was in the ring with Larry Holmes. So now I go outside.