CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
Torsten Hauptmann

Profile:
back/frontsquat and deadlift

original thread is here:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=44343 (w/f/s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTqwOQGWer4 (w/f/s)

did 155lbs back and frontsquats and 350lbs deadlift. i was very sore today so the from of the dl felt bad. started to high.

squats are as mentioned bad. would be nice to be evaluated.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: back/frontsquat and deadlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsten Hauptmann View Post
original thread is here:
http://www.board.CrossFit.com/showthread.php?t=44343 (w/f/s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTqwOQGWer4 (w/f/s)

did 155lbs back and frontsquats and 350lbs deadlift. i was very sore today so the from of the dl felt bad. started to high.

squats are as mentioned bad. would be nice to be evaluated.
Torsten,

You might try getting a vid with more light. It's really hard to see, especially with your dark clothes on.

Two things I did notice. On your back squat, tilt your head down while maintaining your back extension. Imagine you have a tennis ball held under your chin. Again, it was really hard to tell, but it looked like your back might have rounded right at the bottom, but it didn't look terrible. Hard to tell though.

On your dead-lift, it looked like you had some back rounding on the concentric (lifting) portion, and lots of rounding on the eccentric (lowering). Don't relax after locking out the weight. You need to lower the weight safely to the floor, and that means keeping that chest up.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

Fixing the light problem would help pick out a bit more.

Buy watching the bar path I can tell you are shifting your weight to your toes. The bar, as you come up, goes out in front. Flexibility isn't the real problem staying on your heels is. So stay on your heels, keep you butt under you and use it.

On front squats get your elbows up, and keep your back tight.

The squats aren't that bad.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Torsten Hauptmann

Profile:

thanks for replying!
i am sorry for the light but i can not get more light in there indeed the sun was shining through the window . the problem is that i do not have a videocamera but only a photocamera.

i forgot to mention (was written in the thread i refered to above) that i want to improve my squats mainly for oly weightlifting i thought that i am not upright enough.

@ Scott Allen Hanson:
yes my back is rounded in the bottom of the squat. i thought that would be a flexibility problem.

on the deadlift:
it felt bad. i was very very sore on that. actualy i was surprised that i did not round my back that much. but normaly my chest stays more up and i think i start higher with my hips.
and i forgot to mention that i dropped the dl intentionally - not nice . i only put the dl up for the question if i have muscular imbalance problem (in the original thread).

@ Cody Wilkes:
i felt my calves doing some work (on both dl and squats) that would mean that i lost the pressure on the heel. my dl is better "normaly" but on the squat esp the frontsquat i often feel that my calves do some work. how can i change this?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

After watching the video again closer. As you come up your butt raises up before the bar does. On an Olympic Squat when the butt goes up the head goes forward and down, since the bar is closer to your head it does the same thing.

This shows you are using your mostly back (no-no) and your quads to squat the weight up. You want to use your Glutes. to get the weight up they are stronger. Lighten the weight and get used to keeping your but tight the whole squat, keeping your butt under you.

As you squat make sure you keep weight on your heels. So you are not on your toes.

For your front squat make sure you have your elbows up and back tight. This is the major reason in the you are on your toes in the front squat.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Greg Pieris

Profile:

Don't pause at the bottom of your squats, front or back. "Bounce" off your hamstrings/glutes and come straight back up.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Steven Webster

Profile:

Could we please get some proper information stickied regarding the stretch reflex. It's hardly responsible advising newbies to bounce - that's the last thing a lifter needs when lifting heavy weight.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
Jason M Struck

Profile:

you're lucky to get Cody's advise on lifting.

take it and get to work!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
Torsten Hauptmann

Profile:

thank you for your advises!

i did 7 singles @ 90kg on both the front and backsquat.

i tried to engange my glutes more but it is hard.
when i try to tense them i think of pinching my butt. but my i lower myself i think of pulling the femurs out of my hip thus i can not pinch anymore....

but when i rise up again i tried to drive my hips more forward/upward. it then felt as i got more upright under the bar. it might happend that my knees shifted forward too. is that the right way to do it? i felt more control on the way up than on the way down when applying your advise.
when getting the hips more under my upper body it sometimes felt as i would come on my toes but not all times. so i am not sure if driving of the hip in the described manner is correct or not.
and i have to say that i got a litte pain above my left kneecap.

keeping the upper back tight helped a lot to eliminate the lean of the back. on the back squat it was easy but it is hard to get on the frontsquat.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #10
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

The adjustments I told you of are slight adjustments. I am not trying to change your squat totally, it is not that bad of a squat. I could just tell you were on your toes some. The main focus I wanted you to have, was making sure you were on your heels.

Quote:
but when i rise up again i tried to drive my hips more forward/upward. it then felt as i got more upright under the bar. it might happened that my knees shifted forward too. is that the right way to do it? i felt more control on the way up than on the way down when applying your advise.
when getting the hips more under my upper body it sometimes felt as i would come on my toes but not all times. so i am not sure if driving of the hip in the described manner is correct or not.
and i have to say that i got a little pain above my left kneecap.
From what you have said and that your knees bugged you, you are probably shifting your knees too far forward. It sounds like you are keeping your butt directly under you, pushing your knees too far forward. You could of gotten this from my post. Doing this will cause you coming up on your toes some too. Your butt will go back slightly, just bring it forward a little from your previous video. There shouldn't be any type pause or shifting in the squat. It should be one fluid motion.

Once again small adjustments. You don't have that bad of an Olympic squat.
Keep the weight a little light and focus on squatting like Coard does in this video. You can see the position I am talking about.
http://blog.crossfitchesapeake.com/2...ghtlifter.aspx (wfs)

Quote:
keeping the upper back tight helped a lot to eliminate the lean of the back. on the back squat it was easy but it is hard to get on the frontsquat.
This is from your first video. For the Front squats:try these cues
-elbows up
-rack the bar higher on your shoulders
-slightly wider grip
-pull your shoulder blades together

Sorry for the minor set back, my other posts made it sound like you needed to change a lot. Go to your previous Squat and work from there. We are talking small things here. Stay on your heels.