CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Intensity limiting power output?

Alright, I've been wrestling with this idea for a while and finally got it coherent in my head today. Please excuse the lengthiness.

So we're all for intensity and power output. Foundations of CF and all. Thing is, I find that if I go balls to the wall on the first workout of the cycle, I get massive DOMs the following day(s) (usually for 2 days), which prevents me from going as hard the next few days. So in a sense, it seems, the intensity of my first day is limiting my power output on subsequent days. I figured that this soreness would abate, but I've been doing CF for a while (also, more recently, GG hybrid) and I still find that the workouts can crush my legs for days and, to a lesser extent, my arms. I didn't get this on GG hybrid, and I don't know why. I want to say it was because of the shorter workouts, but Fran does the same thing. I find this soreness is the worst when following the mainpage WOD - and it happens a lot with lighter weight metcons (maybe that's why I didn't suffer the same effects on the hybrid). I got it really bad two days ago with Jackie, no less (IMO not a particularly lengthy or taxing WOD); though I'm undoubtedly much stronger than I was the last time I had a date with her. Crushed my PR by 3 minutes in the process (real intense, like I said). But as a result, today was a premature rest day.

So, I guess my question boils down this: if a day is so high intensity that it restricts your power output on the following workouts, should you be taking it easier? Should you always go all out, just taking extra rest days or active rests as necessary? Or, as I suspect the consensus will be, should you vary it up? Any thoughts/comments welcomed.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Jose M. Perez

Profile:
Re: Intensity limiting power output?

I prefer to crawl away after a workout rather than just collapsing into a quivering mass of protoplasm, so I tend to pace myself during the more intense workouts. But my goal is to finish the workout. I'm not trying to max myself. If you're finding that your recovery is extended after some of the more intense workouts, maybe you need to add some static stretching and cardio after a workout to get fresh blood flowing through your muscles. Or you need to take a look at what and when you eat and how much sleep you're getting. Sports nutritionists tend to recommend eating protein within 30-60 minutes after a workout,

By the way, DOMS occurs after the first day after a workout. If it occurs on the first day, it's just normal soreness.

It's also possible that you may need to add more strength work to your workout. Try to do squats and deadlifts once a week.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Justin Sean McIntosh

Profile:
Re: Intensity limiting power output?

I was watching the CFJ video on programming and they kind of addressed this issue. But, not entirely. The way I see it is you get what you put out. If on the first day you push so hard that you are still affected by DOMS the second day then I would guess that you are teaching your CNS greater adaption by pushing yourself again on the next day. Which in the end can only lead to faster recovery times in real world applications. I could have this completely wrong and would like to see what some of the more seasoned vets have to say on this topic.