CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-25-2003, 12:49 PM   #1
Kevin Okerlund

Profile:
When you do the power clean do you still use the bounce off of your hip thrust or does the bar come straight up with a slight drop under to catch the bar?
Thanks.
Kevin
Old 11-25-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Kevin-

I certianly use the hip thrust. Start working squat cleans as soon as you can as this will allow for much larger numbers down the road. Check out the World Class Coaching tapes as well, they are excellent.
Robb
Old 11-26-2003, 07:46 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The 'hip thrust' is supposed to cause the bar to brush the thighs - at most - not bounce off of them. You should use a lot of hip extension in the clean, absolutely. But the hips should not slam into the bar. Bouncing off the thighs causes excessive bar swing, which either results in a big loop at the top of the clean or leaving the bar out in front.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Hmmm, so I guess the massive bruises on my thighs are a bad sign... :uhoh:

I'll keep working on it.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:51 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Try to think about directing all motion up. That's easier than thinking about "the hips go this way, the knees go that way, the bar goes here..." If the bar is going up, it's not being bounced and swung out.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Lincoln-

From what I saw on the world class coaching tapes and my own experience the hip bounce is vital. Ideally one imparts as much of an upward vector to the weight with this movement but in the WCC tapes the forward motion was countered by the athlete extending backwards, through the heels with a resultant upward vector. Dave, Nick...Crossfit North, any thoughts?
Robb
Old 11-27-2003, 09:03 AM   #7
Nicholas Nibler

Profile:
Rob,
We just got back from the World Weightlifting Championships in Vancouver this last weekend. It was fantastic! If you ever get a chance to see these atheletes, it is well worth the effort.

We noticed several things right away as these athletes lifted/attempted max lifts; full extension of the hips was critical, the best lifters generated fantastic speed/power as the bar brushed by the COG, anything that caused the bar to swing out in front of the lifter or changed the timing resulted in problems with the catch and I don't remember seeing anyone who had a problem in the catch with max or near max weight stand up and make the jerk.
Several did't even attempt the jerk after saving a poor clean. As near as I can remember, everyone brushed the thighs with the bar. This is what I have been striving for in my lifts as well. I'll check the WCC tape, but what I remember WCC recommending is a combination of the hip thrust/trunk whip that they termed the hip & whip.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Nick
Old 11-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Sounds good! Thanks!
Robb
Old 11-30-2003, 08:07 AM   #9
Kevin Okerlund

Profile:
Thank you for the input. I was trying to do
the same thing I think Carrie was doing..bouncing
the bar off of my thighs(ie like the hang clean).
Back to working on technigue.
Kevin
Old 11-30-2003, 09:07 AM   #10
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
If the hip were to hit the bar while comming up and foward while the athlete pulled the bar up and back, the bar would travel straight up. The contact with the bar would then appear to be a brush regardless of how hard the contact was.

Here is a thought experiment. Thread a 10 ft rope through a 10 lb plate. Have two guys stand just far enough apart that the plate rests on the ground. If both pull backwards on the rope simultaneously, the weight is launched straight up and with a velocity much greater than could be achieved by pulling up alone.

This may not be the physics of ideal technique, but it ought to be considered in light of what videos of record lifts reveal.

Just an amateurs thoughts.

On another note, one of our trainers was training at the Olympic Training Center on the Olympic Lifts and having fair success. Days later she noticed in the shower that the girls with the big lifts all had bruises on their upper thigh/hips. Armed with that insight she quickly moved to the top of the class.

Coach said she should have gotten pictures!