CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #61
Kevin Daigle

Profile:
Re: 100-0 : Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Still, the person who set this game up has not been mentioned. They seriosuly need to due a post mortem and figure out how to keep this from happening again. There is no reason these two school should have played each other.

As a player I would have been upset.
clearly.....id be ****ed to be put in that position.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #62
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Kevin,
You're making some assumptions. I've been an athlete most of your life. At some point it could be argued that I was a professional athlete. I understand the point you tghink you're making. But F me again if I don't see calling the game at 59-0 as a valid decision. Jamie, I agree the people who set this game up were schmucks. So now as a Coach, I have an obligation to make this a useful lesson. I can let my backups play, or I can call this game. That's a win, I teach my kids class. (no pun intended) That may have horrible effects on the "hypercompetitive" but it won't affect their future in the WNBA.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #63
Michael Houghton

Profile:

Just a quick thought...How did the winning coach play this game? Did he put in his backups? Did he try to play defensively? Unless we know, why is everyone so ****ed off? If he put in his backups and they still played their best, it is nobody's fault that the score got out of hand, except the person who set the game up. If he purposely left his starters in there, it is the coaches fault for having his players go balls out for the entire game.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #64
Ewen Roth

Profile:

' The box score that the Covenant head of school has been staring at reveals that his team scored 35 points in the first quarter before building a 59-0 lead at the half. The score after three quarters was 88-0.

"They are really good," Civello said. "Their point guard is terrific. This is what it came down to in the second half: steal at half court and layup. Steal and layup. Steal and layup. It was a layup drill. They finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left." Covenant's point guard had 48 points.'

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.40d72ee.html (wfs)

' Several seconds into the game, coach Carmen Hardcastle knew the opponent would be no match for her Roosevelt High School Mustangs girls basketball team. With Roosevelt leading 31-0 after the first quarter, she asked the opposing coach if they could keep the clock running to help end the game quickly.

By the second half, Hardcastle had retired most of Roosevelt's starters. She instructed her students to avoid fast breaks and not to shoot the ball until after at least five passes. Roosevelt, relying on players who never play in close games, didn't score a single point in the fourth quarter. Final score: Roosevelt 55, Fort Worth Carter-Riverside 1.

"We always play hard in the first quarter in games like that," Hardcastle said. "After that, what's the point?" '

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....28efd5d3.html (wfs)

Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #65
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
' The box score that the Covenant head of school has been staring at reveals that his team scored 35 points in the first quarter before building a 59-0 lead at the half. The score after three quarters was 88-0.

"They are really good," Civello said. "Their point guard is terrific. This is what it came down to in the second half: steal at half court and layup. Steal and layup. Steal and layup. It was a layup drill. They finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left." Covenant's point guard had 48 points.'

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.40d72ee.html (wfs)

' Several seconds into the game, coach Carmen Hardcastle knew the opponent would be no match for her Roosevelt High School Mustangs girls basketball team. With Roosevelt leading 31-0 after the first quarter, she asked the opposing coach if they could keep the clock running to help end the game quickly.

By the second half, Hardcastle had retired most of Roosevelt's starters. She instructed her students to avoid fast breaks and not to shoot the ball until after at least five passes. Roosevelt, relying on players who never play in close games, didn't score a single point in the fourth quarter. Final score: Roosevelt 55, Fort Worth Carter-Riverside 1.

"We always play hard in the first quarter in games like that," Hardcastle said. "After that, what's the point?" '

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....28efd5d3.html (wfs)

Personally, I think thats disgusting........

If i was on the other team I'd feel like a REAL piece of s***

what athlete wants pity? thats just plain wrong.

thats just CYA manuevering now because its the topic of national media outcry and the object of conversation and debate for those who've never even played a sport.

Last edited by Kevin Daigle : 01-26-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #66
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Kevin,
You're making some assumptions. I've been an athlete most of your life. At some point it could be argued that I was a professional athlete. I understand the point you tghink you're making. But F me again if I don't see calling the game at 59-0 as a valid decision. Jamie, I agree the people who set this game up were schmucks. So now as a Coach, I have an obligation to make this a useful lesson. I can let my backups play, or I can call this game. That's a win, I teach my kids class. (no pun intended) That may have horrible effects on the "hypercompetitive" but it won't affect their future in the WNBA.
that has nothing to do with class.

Class is not running your mouth. Walking back to the bench after scoring without doing some in-your-eye celebration.

It's your job as a coach to put people in the right positions and make the right calls in those situations, but you don't tell the kids to let up or go easy. Thats crazy.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #67
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I agree that the starters should have been pulled after the first quarter or two. The third and fourth string should have had the opportunity to get some valuable experience. If that did not happen it is kind of lame and a little classless. BUT that should not warrant the firing of the head coach and an attempt to forfeit the game after the fact. If a team enters the league and agrees upon the rules and regulations in that league then it is the coaches responsibility to get them up to par with the competition. You cannot punish a team for being really good, even if they are jerks about it. That the losing team is being paraded around like hero's for sucking so bad is a bogus attitude that promotes worthlessness as a valuable trait.

And on a side note as someone diagnosed with Dyslexia who also played D-1 college athletics I find it rather offensive to assume that because these kids have "learning differences" they should be treated special. ADD, Dyslexia and the like have no effect on athletic ability and should not come into play when considering an athletes preformance. It has nothing to do with it so why bring it up?

-Robert

Old 01-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #68
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
There is no reason these two school should have played each other.

As a player I would have been upset.

In high school, there was a football team that was a division higher than us and beat us every year by 50-60 points. The coach usually put in his backups by the 4th quarter. My senior year I had 53 yards rushing against his number one squad. In the 3rd quarter I busted a 60 yarder against a mix of his number 1 and 2 guys as he was starting to phase them in. It was a second string corner I made miss to get the opening and ultimately the score.

My point is this. As a player I was upset that we were scheduled to play this team because we had no business being on the field with a team that good, and they got nothing out of playing us; that being said, when people congratulated me for going over 100 yards against them (something only 1 or 2 people did the whole year including state playoffs) I felt like a schmuck. As far as I was and still am concerned, I only had 53 yards against that team. I know this is a personal competitive view, but am I wrong for thinking it's the right one?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #69
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

John,

ANd from the other side, how much fun is it to play a team you know you are going to beat? You want to play to the best of your ability and then you feel like a bully. If you let up, then you feel like you are insulting them. Either way you're screwed.

The coach did publicly say his employer was wrong. That will get you fired from most jobs.

I also have ADD and dsylexia. Few people would say I'm a poor athlete.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #70
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
I agree that the starters should have been pulled after the first quarter or two. The third and fourth string should have had the opportunity to get some valuable experience. If that did not happen it is kind of lame and a little classless. BUT that should not warrant the firing of the head coach and an attempt to forfeit the game after the fact. If a team enters the league and agrees upon the rules and regulations in that league then it is the coaches responsibility to get them up to par with the competition. You cannot punish a team for being really good, even if they are jerks about it. That the losing team is being paraded around like hero's for sucking so bad is a bogus attitude that promotes worthlessness as a valuable trait.

And on a side note as someone diagnosed with Dyslexia who also played D-1 college athletics I find it rather offensive to assume that because these kids have "learning differences" they should be treated special. ADD, Dyslexia and the like have no effect on athletic ability and should not come into play when considering an athletes preformance. It has nothing to do with it so why bring it up?

-Robert
well said Robert.....those problems also do not affect academic capacity either, as you're obviously aware.