CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Tim Lofton

Profile:
Why 100 pushups?

So I'm on this local sublist of the Dead Runners Society (DRS) in which several of the folks on the list are currently doing the hundredpushups program. Someone posted this question to our list, in part, due to a response from a PT on the big list who said, "come see me when you blow your rotator cuff or strain your back." The poster to our local list added, "what more is there to gain than the 15 pushups I do daily?"

I tried to frame a tactful response which included not seeing this PT if I ever thought I needed one. But in a curious way and for good information that maybe I can add to my response to her, is 100 better than, say, 50 or 60? Is it a psychologically beneficial number?

I thought it great that a number of runners on the list, some who crosstrain and some who don't, decided to step out of their usual bounds to take on the challenge. Even if they don't succeed in making it to 100, I think if they stick with it for four, five, or six weeks, they'll be farther ahead than when they started.

Thoughtful inputs? Thanks,

Tim
Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Why 100 pushups?

I would have a concern of having someone jump in and do 100 pushups a day, consecutively for weeks on end.

Something to be built up. Enough sets and low reps, sure. Again, another possible overzealous CrossFit idea.

Honestly though a 100 a day isn't that much. 15 a day is lame.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Tim Lofton

Profile:

Yes, this is a build-up program found at http://hundredpushups.com (WFS). I concur on not advising a jump-in to 100 per day right away either. Anyhow, a CFer from CrossFit Metro in Atlanta posted the link to that site on an ultra running listserve, I think, partially in an attempt to kind of bridge a gap between what most folks were currently doing and CrossFit.

tim
Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Jonathon Brown

Profile:

I would say that it has both a physical and mental contribution.

On the physical side, you'll gain at least some muscular endurance, which is useful both in sports and everyday life.

On the mental side, you can do 100 push-ups. That's a sizeable amount of push-ups. And the fact that you've worked up to accomplished that goal may give motivation to tackle other goals.

Just my thoughts. I've thought about doing this program just to say I can do 100 push-ups (which I don't think I could do currently), so I see it as a good addition to whatever you do, be it CrossFit, running, or whatever.

-Jon
Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

100 pushups in a row is one step towards getting the Gold shirt for the Presidential fitness program in HS, I think.

Oh, wait it isn't. W/F safe

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/e...tandards.aspx#

Man, I remember the standards being a lot tougher. I could nearly hit that now. Unsure about DHPU ( prob around 10 ) and mile time and I'm squishy.

I think we need to tell Obama to up the standards. Arnie made them too easy.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
Corey Cedeno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Brown View Post
I would say that it has both a physical and mental contribution.

On the physical side, you'll gain at least some muscular endurance, which is useful both in sports and everyday life.

On the mental side, you can do 100 push-ups. That's a sizeable amount of push-ups. And the fact that you've worked up to accomplished that goal may give motivation to tackle other goals.

Just my thoughts. I've thought about doing this program just to say I can do 100 push-ups (which I don't think I could do currently), so I see it as a good addition to whatever you do, be it CrossFit, running, or whatever.

-Jon
Just answer, "So I can do Angie quicker." All the other reasons Jonathan posted I'd agree with.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Marcus Smith

Profile:

Funny as todays workout on has a combo with 100 push ups in it.
Like Jonathan Brown says its half physical and the other half mental.
Either way 100 push ups is 100 push ups

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 11-24-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 11-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
Rayna McGinnis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
100 pushups in a row is one step towards getting the Gold shirt for the Presidential fitness program in HS, I think.

Oh, wait it isn't. W/F safe

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/e...tandards.aspx#

Man, I remember the standards being a lot tougher. I could nearly hit that now. Unsure about DHPU ( prob around 10 ) and mile time and I'm squishy.
Wow- I just looked at those standards as they would have applied to me as a woman. Way to go and tell girls that guys are stronger and girls are more flexible. Is there a reason guys can do more crunches than girls in a minute? I think these standards are wayyy too relaxed. The presidential award is supposed to be for the top 85 percentile and honestly, looking at the standards, I think that almost anyone who was willing to grit their teeth a little and I don't know... try?... would be able to achieve that award. Let alone the other two.

I get being encouraging, but come on. This is like telling the athletes that really deserve this award, they're too good and should stop trying so hard.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayna McGinnis View Post
Wow- I just looked at those standards as they would have applied to me as a woman. Way to go and tell girls that guys are stronger and girls are more flexible. Is there a reason guys can do more crunches than girls in a minute? I think these standards are wayyy too relaxed. The presidential award is supposed to be for the top 85 percentile and honestly, looking at the standards, I think that almost anyone who was willing to grit their teeth a little and I don't know... try?... would be able to achieve that award. Let alone the other two.

I get being encouraging, but come on. This is like telling the athletes that really deserve this award, they're too good and should stop trying so hard.
This is a really pessimistic viewpoint, geez.

Men are stronger than women, btw, whether you like it or not.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

If it's supposed to be the 85th percentile and above, the standards will go down as more students get fatter and lazier. That's the nature of such a sliding scale. I do remember it being much harder when I was in school. I remember many people who played sports in high school who didn't pass. I also notice that the events tested have changed.