CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
Yehoshua Zohar

Profile:
I have noticed that exercises are prescribed in lbs. (i.e. "deadlift 225lbs. for x reps in y time"). Now, this is a different load for a 225lb. trainee and a 170lb. trainee. Why not state the load in % of bw?
Old 03-23-2006, 04:58 AM   #2
David Cynamon

Profile:
My guess is to make it simpler. If you look at the faqhttp://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General2, it seems like everyone should try for the prescribed weight and if it's too much, take a percentage of it or do what you can. If it isn't enough and you are getting extremely good times with the prescribed weight, add on to it. (generic crossfitter is about 175 lbs. so 225 is about 130% of bodyweight)
Old 03-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
To offer a slightly different approach:

Obviously you should have a pretty good idea if the weight is reasonable for you or not. If it is clearly not, then scale accordingly. However, I think in the spirit of 'training for life and sport' sometimes you should not worry about % of bw or "am I a little guy/big guy?", etc. and just do the work. Often times outside the weightroom you are not offered an alternative way out (ie lowering/raising weight) when confronted with a physical challenge. Just dive in!

FWIW, I'm on the small end of things at 5'10", 160lbs.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
Also as an afterthought to the above:

Try it all! Do a benchmark workout (one of the girls) at a reduced weight, as written, and with increased weight. Keep track of how each version of the workout taxes you differently. Mix it up. My point is that you shouldn't get locked into the mindset that 'if I weigh x, I need to scale to y% of my Bw in order for this workout to be done correctly or fairly'. Correct and fair do not exist within this context (unless of course the weight is such that it will cause you injury...use your common sense).
Old 03-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Baron Dorff

Profile:
I think David hit it on the head. Do it as hard as you can do it. I typically adjust loads to maintain a decent pace. If I feel like I'm unable to keep cranking, then it's time to lighten up. Bump up loads as your strength increases.

When you start posting times that embarrass everyone else on the board, go higher than recommended to spare their feelings.:lol:
Old 03-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Dan Colson

Profile:
CrossFit is completely scalable and constantly varied, Many of us use a weight vest from time to time on workouts just to compare and contrast times. I would recomend sticking with the rx weights unless it is way to easy with IMPECCABLE form. Often times focusing on form mastery gives the workouts a newborn challenge.