CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
Charles Garrett

Profile:
Special Forces

First let me start off by saying thank you for taking the time to read this post and answering any question that you are able.

I hope that this thread does not go unnoticed. I have some questions for any SF or former SF, but it would be proper to first intoduce myself. My name is Charles. I am 26. I have been married for 3 years and have no children. I have been an Olympic weighlifter for 8 years and started CF earlier this year. Prior to this year I did zero metcon, which is decision that I am now regretting.

I am seriously considering joining the US Army, hopefully as an 18X and it is my understanding that there are several current and former SF members on this board. I've done my homework and approached everything with a degree of skepticism. I believe that I have learned as much as an outsider can know about SF and my ex-Army friends have confirmed this.

My first question; is www.professionalsoldiers.com a reliable sight for SF info?

Second, even at my young age I know that there have been times in my life that I looked back at a particular event and said "I wish that I would have asked/known <blank>." Sometimes you know so little about something that you don't even know the right questions to ask. That is where I am at. I don't know what questions I should be asking. So to those of you who have been there, what questions should I be asking you about SF and what are the answers to those questions?

If there are any other members of the SOF community here, please know that any input that you have to offer will also be held in the highest regard.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Eddie Clark

Profile:
Re: Special Forces

Just remember during your training that you do not have to be the fastest, the strongest,or the best anything. I am not advocating under achievement or doing just the minimum to get by. What I have seen is that many people believe that if they aren't running sub 6 minute miles for 5 miles or humping 100 lbs for 24 miles in less than six hours they aren't going to be ready. So they go out and they over train, burn themselves out, hurt themselves, and just plain ole give up because somewhere they got the notion that they have to be this super stud to make it through the training/ selection. That is just not so. Put your ego aside and work hard. I like to say "run your own race". Meaning work within your own capacities. What is important is having the perseverance and fortitude to continue down the road when things get hard and they most definitely will. Consistency in your training is what will matter the most. Do CrossFit, for sure, and work on your grip. There are some other threads that give a lot of good info on how to prepare physically for the challenges ahead.

There is a recent thread posted by Colin asking how to prepare for RIP. One of the fellows had some good advice. Basically don't take yourself too seriously and have a sense of humor.

Here is a question for you for which I have an answer.

Q: What is the one thing that I can do that will make me good at land navigation?

A: Find out what your pace count is (pace count is the number of steps it takes for you to walk 100 meters) and ALWAYS KEEP PACE!! No matter how easy the next leg of your route may seem ALWAYS KEEP A GOOD PACE COUNT!! I will say it again ALWAYS KEEP A GOOD PACE COUNT! You do that and you will never get lost. You might be pointed in the wrong direction but you won't get lost. You will need to find your pace: carrying a ruck, running with a ruck, walking with a ruck in the woods, walking with a ruck up hill and walking with your ruck on the road. Sounds like a lot but you will get it with practice.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Daniel Fannin

Profile:

Charles,

I'm in your neck of the woods. If you want a training partner, shoot me a message on the boards and we'll see if we can meet.

Dan
Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Charles Garrett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Clark View Post
Do CrossFit, for sure, and work on your grip.
Your input is appreciated.

I have been working my grip at work with "Heavygrip" grippers. Do you think gripper training will be sufficient. Based on what i have been told by a friend (who went through 3 weeks of SFAS before getting injured), farmers walks would be the ideal type of grip training. However, right now running is by far my biggest weakness and nearly all supplemental training is focused on bring this weakness up.

I have some more questions about life once in SF, but i realize that I should use the search button before asking a question and was remiss for not doing so prior to starting this thread. If I am unable to find the info that I seek, may I PM you?

Again, thank you for your time.

Last edited by Charles Garrett : 01-15-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Charles Garrett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fannin View Post
Charles,

I'm in your neck of the woods. If you want a training partner, shoot me a message on the boards and we'll see if we can meet.

Dan
Private message sent.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
Eddie Clark

Profile:

Farmers walks are my recommendation also. Those are what I did when I was prepping for selection. I used to do the body-building type workouts because crossfit wasn't around when I went through. I would work the farmers walk into the the workout every time. For instance I would do a set of bench then walk around the gym carrying 80 pound dumbbells. Boy would I get some looks.

PM me anytime.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Thomas Trafford

Profile:

Charles,
I just finished sfas in sept. Crossfit will prepare you well - it was my primary training method. I kept a good record of mytrain up-- pm me and I can email it to you and will answer any other specific questions you have.
It sounds like you are on the right track -- just don't get too caught up in "being prepared". Selection is designed to make you uncomfortable to test your mental limits. The physical aspect is just one way they use to do that.
Good luck,
T
Old 01-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Philip Martin

Profile:

Quote:
My first question; is www.professionalsoldiers.com a reliable sight for SF info?
I'm not a Group guy but I am a former SOF type. Professional Soldiers is a very respected and reliable site.

Last edited by Philip Martin : 01-17-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Charles Garrett

Profile:

Thanks to all of you who have responded.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
William Henniger

Profile:

I was just about ready to tell you to contact Eddie Clark, looks like he beat me to the punch.

Talking to Eddie a couple time about this, I would highly recommend his approach to your journey.

GOOD LUCK!