CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
The Crossfit exercises that train pushing, pulling, and forward, and backward movement are rather obvious to me.
Although my rotational power seems to be increasing, I don't understand how Crossfit trains rotational power. Maybe somebody can enlighten me.
Prior to Crossfit, I trained Rotation by doing Full Contact Twists, Russian Twists, Wood Chopping, and med ball drills.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:47 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Miahael-

The Crossfit methodology trains the core in a brutal way. This training, as Dan Johns post attests, increases throwing, jumping, punching and kicking power by training movement patterns whereby force generated through the posterior chain (hip extension) is transmitted through the core to the extremities.

This is a perhaps counter intuitive situation in which one need not make rotational work the basis of training to increase its performance. I do not know how many ex. phys. papaers I have read in which the best correlate to improved : punching/kicking power, sprint speed etc. is improved verticle leap which is another way of saying inproved hip extension.

All that being said, I think some movements like windshield wipers and around the clocks are a nice addition and these are movements i include in my WOD warmup.
Robb