CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Jason Stirman

Profile:
Been CF'ing for a few weeks.. still very much learning, but I found 2 very unexpected added benefits, which I bet most people here would agree on.

1. The tremendous feeling of being a part of something bigger. I do (try!) the WODs by myself at my local gym, which used be lonely when I was just lifting. Now it's comforting, in some weird way, to know that there's a bunch of us all going through the same pain and suffering on the same day :-)

2. My mental attitude is changing. Lately I have had to carry a lot of thing: small furniture, groceries, etc... and whereas I used to switch hands, or take breaks.. I have been feeling like I should push through, because of the WOD's, I realized my physical limits were further away than I originally thought. It seems that I'm attacking everything in life with a little more verocity, even non-physical stuff, like work related tasks.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to hear about how crossfit is changing other people's lives, besides the obvious benefit of being in better shape!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
Amen jason! Amen! completely feel you on #1... sucks being alone in a gym, but whit all this ya keep on thinking, theres hundreds of others out there gettin there arses handed to them now too! its a great feeling!

keep er up
Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
Jason, I have been CrossFitting for about 2 months and I completely agree with both of your points. With regard to #2 in particular, I'm feeling more confident outside of the gym too. Everyday I have so much energy and I seem to be getting more accomplished at home (house renovations), and with my research (I'm a PhD student). I think it feels amazing to be better and stronger in all domains of your life. Thanks for your post!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Chris Barclay

Profile:
fit in body, fit in mind is what I reckon.

and have to agree about your #1 - Living in a small town in england where most people are at least 3 stone overweight is a lonely place to be a crossfitter!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #5
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I must say that my excitement for my future profession has exploded in the six months I've been crossfitting. Seeing how quickly and relatively "easy" it is to transform your life, health, and fitness has given me a razor-sharp focus on how to help my patients. I am a chiropractic student currently and plan on utilizing the utterly simplistic yet completely effective crossfit paradigm to educate and rehabilitate my patients. Once a clinician gets a patient out of the acute painful stage of their injury they can release them from care or work to rehabilitate them. Rehabilitate is normally to get the patient back to their pre-injury state but I now say we need to get them BETTER than the pre-injury state. The biggest problems with patients not complying with their rehab and exercise programs are a lack of results (from ineffective exercise) and too much time requirement (inefficient exercise). Well crossfit allows me to show them VERY quick results that apply directly to their daily activities... and do so within 30 minutes a day plus warm-up and cooldown.

After my cert in september I actually have a bevy of students and faculty here ready to train with me... perhaps they'll realize my views and spread the word even further.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Gina Johnson

Profile:
Jason~ There's nothing like that great feeling to be this passionate about something. It's advanced for me though... from passion to now addiction and I couldn't be happier! And every single person on these boards and in the CF community shares my feeelings! I have several passions in my life, however CF is so unique because of the challenges and demands it puts on us. I could go on and on. Just thought I'd share.