CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
Laura Rucker

Profile:
A friend- who happened to have been to his first crossfit class yesterday - invited me to go hiking with him and some friends this morning.

http://www.geocities.com/hikingmikev...trailhead.html - this web site has the stats.

We started out at 9 am and although the climb was steep at times and we did get out of breath, I was able to talk and climb at the same time - those who know me will not be surprised! :-) We were selling Dan on Crossfit until he changed the subject to Star Wars lore and fan films.

The guys had been on the hike a couple of times before and warned me it was a hard trail for a beginner.

We kept moving for an entire hour and only stopped once when Dan needed to take a break. Dave, my friend, asked if I wanted to go back, but we were only about 20 minutes from the peak, so I ate my 2 block meal (apple, mozz cheese and 6 almonds) and then we hiked to the view point which was quite lovely and rested for about 15 minutes.

It was about 10:30 when we headed back down and I thought it would be less taxing but the task of getting your foot onto the right spot on some of the (constant) little drops was pretty demanding and so by the time we go to about a mile from the trail head, I could hear Dave muttering about the difficulty. I commiserated and Dan repeated how the difficulty level as a little more than a beginner would usually attempt (his opinion, I have no experience to measure against) and Dave turned to him and said, "Look at her! She's not even breating hard!" hehe. I was tired, but not winded and made the trip in 2:30, including stopping to talk to some firemen that had to rescue a lady who had twisted her ankle.

I can't imagine being able to stand up to that a year ago. Next stop, the Camp Pendleton mud run!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Michael Keller

Profile:
Good job Laura.Never let 'em see you sweat!
Old 05-16-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
Don Woodson

Profile:
Way ta go Laura! Your comment about getting back down being more taxing than going up is so true.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
Ryan Scott

Profile:
Laura,

The Camo Pendleton Mud Run is a blast. The group atmosphere is great and it really is a great workout. I was pretty drained afterwards, but I tried to push a pretty hard pace. I am sure that if you can do a 6.2 mi hike with that kind of elevation gain you would have no problem at Camp Pendleton if you just pace yourself.

Ryan.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Thanks, guys!

Ryan: Sweet! I'm looking forward to the run but a little intimidated by the distance. But, hey, there will be Marines there so that's a motivator. :proud: