CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
I'm just getting back to CF after a layoff of a year and a half. Right now I'm working to establish consistency in my workouts. Once I'm going to the gym consistently for 3 weeks running, I'll begin ramping up the intensity toward the WOD as prescribed.

Today I started at a new gym: Medina's in Hayward, California. It's a good place, specializing in powerlifting, olympic lifting, and free-weight training in general.

I modified today's WOD downward significantly from the Rx, keeping my intensity low for now.

2 rounds for time
50 squats (1st round) or 25 squats (2nd round)
(3 pullups + 3 dips, both assisted) x 3
95 lb hang power clean x 5

Total time: 14:02

Assistance on pullups was doing them seated on the floor beneath a power rack, pulling up to an olympic bar. Assistance on dips was bench dips.

Looking forward to push presses tomorrow. The form video in the exercise archive was very helpful.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Push Press today, and a lesson in form.

7 x 3: 95, 95, 105, 105, 115, 115, 115

I studied the form on the video in the exercise section, and I'm finding that in practice I need to pay more attention to how it feels than to how it looks in a mirror. It's the sensation of keeping my hips above my feet as I go down for the push that seems most important. Got to watch a tendency to arch backwards though.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Friday's WOD

I'm not up to doing even one unassisted pullup yet, let alone a weighted one (though I'm closer than I thought as it turns out). So I worked this one on a lat pulldown machine, weight adjusted for one rep.

7 x 1 Lat Pulldown: 200, 200(x2), 210, 210, 210, 210, 220

200 felt a little easy, so I went for a second rep and discovered it really was too easy. 210 felt more like it should, but I decided to go for broke on the last set. I just barely got that 220 out. I doubt I could have done 7 of those.

Bodyweight 288, so I'm closer than I would have guessed to doing unassisted pullups.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Sunday's WOD kicked my tail thoroughly. The Rx was

Run 1/2 mile
50 GHD Back Extensions
50 GHD Situps
3 rounds for time

I got the first half mile in 8:14. Then I spent 13 minutes getting out 50 back Ext and 35 situps. I got the second half mile in 8:06, but had to stop then due to a pounding headache. Total time 30 minutes.

Today's should be interesting. I have only a 10 lb med ball, and no rower. I'm thinking I'll drop the rowing and go with what I have, since Sumo Deadlift High Pulls (the usual sub for rowing) are already part of the workout.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Well, I thought today's Fight Gone Bad would be tough, and I wasn't far wrong. My gym doesn't have a rower, and I couldn't see subbing Sumo Deadlift High Pulls, since they were already part of the workout. So, since I'm focusing on consistency rather than intensity anyway I decided to drop the rowing.

Tomorrow is Front Squats. Gotta love 'em.
The gym has a 15-lb med ball, but the owner didn't like me throwing it at his wall, so I didn't get all 8 rounds in on that. I'll have to sub dumbell thrusters next time.

Box jumps were also modified. I couldn't make a 20-inch vertical leap, so I made it 12 inch and set the target over my head in a power rack rather than using a box.

Final numbers
Wall Ball: 8
SDHP: 7
Jump: 3
Push Press: 5

The one thing I like about this workout is it shows where you're weakest. That jump score tells the story - getting my 290 lbs a foot off the ground just wore me out.

(Message edited by Redmage on March 26, 2007)
Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Tuesday's WOD

Made it to the gym with just enough time to spare, so I'm pleased that i managed to squeeze it in.

Front Squats: 1-1-1-1-1-1-1
205, 225, 225, 235, 235, 235, 235

Not bad - a little higher than I thought I'd do. I had to watch my form though: felt myself tipping forward a bit at the bottom of the squat.

But good stuff, all in all.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
I noticed that my post of 3/26 should have specified 50 lbs for the SDHP and Push Press, rather than the Rx 75.

The Filthy Fifty tomorrow. Oh. My. God.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Missed today's workout. I just couldn't get to the gym before they closed. .

Well, pick it up and move on. 5K tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Mainly kept with the theme of the WOD rather than the Rx today. Jog-walked 1 mile in 16:30. My pulse was 146 by the end, so that was probably a good idea.

Still, it's pretty sad. I wonder if a 15-minute jog-walk would be a good addition to my warm-up.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Man it's tough when crossfit totally kicks your one day and then you have to get up and do it again the next day. Great job on the consistency! Please continue to keep us updated with your progress.