CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

Hey guys,
New guy here who ironically heard of this board and was intrigued after the infamous T-Nation article bashing CrossFit.

I'm looking to get bigger, become more athletic, and have more overall energy to last me day to day. I currently weigh 205 lbs at 15% bodyfat and my maxes are: sumo-deadlift - 355 lb, wide-stance squat - 315 lb, and bench - 215 lb.

Is crossfit the right place for me? I'm looking for both form and function.

Also, is there anybody here who weighs more than 215 lb with less than 10% bodyfat and can still complete all the workouts?

One last question... sprints are mentioned in the free crossfit journal on the frontpage but I have yet to see sprints incorporated in any of the WODs... am I just overlooking things?

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 02-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Kurt, welcome to CrossFit!
My friend, strongman Bud Jeffries, weighs in at about 350lbs, though not at under 10% body fat.
He has some excellent insights on training, and being a big guy he can relate from the inside on that perspective.Here are some of his lifts.
http://www.strongerman.com/lifts.html

(Message edited by Gulf_Coast on February 01, 2006)
Old 02-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Kurt,
Welcome to the board. I would say try CrossFit out for a few months and see what you think. I'm a skinny guy about 165#, and your lifts are about what I do. I think yours will go up. As far as your questions, plenty of guys here who weigh 215 and are 10% or less. My workout partner comes to mind. Sprints, we consider 400's a sprint.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Orlando Alonso

Profile:
T-Nation bashed Crossfit?? Are those guys on crack?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Hey Kurt,
I'm new to the place as well and I'm trying to learn the crossfit system and work it into my training regimen. I'm 5'11" 260 and skinfold has me at 12%. I've got four really good abs :@) and the outline of two more. One of my training partners is strongman Phil Pfister - he's 6'6" and goes a good 345. He, myself, and my misses have started using hybrid crossfit workouts twice a week to supplement his strongman and my lumberjack sports training. We are continuing to perform traditional strength training workouts (which would include power cleans, snatchs, and push presses) two days a week. We both also try to do event training about three days a week. Sometimes our crossfit workouts and our event training days overlap. It's not to say that our traditional strength training days are more difficult, but they take more out of us. We seem to recover better from the crossfit style workouts which enable us to do the event specific training. At least for now. We haven't gone completely crazy on the system yet.

The more I read and the more I understand that this is a great system. You've got a good foundation. You can build upon that very easily.

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Kurt,

If you are looking for more strength I might suggest doing Coach Ruttman's ME+Crossfit blend which incorporates lifting days into the crossfit prescription. Basically it is WOD, ME day, WOD, rest ..repeat.

Right now I'm currently doing Dan Johns OLAD + Crossfit = OLAD, Crossfit, OLAD, Crossfit....etc
I wanted to get my snatch + deadlift numbers up.

Sprints are in there, but usally they are 400 meters, there have been lesser distances in the past but not recently.

I'm 195 at 12% 5'9" I deadlift 380, squat 325, bench 290. Before coming over to Crossfit I was primarly into the bodybuilding type stuff. I added Crossfit because well my conditioning sucks (it's getting better but still not great) and functional is good.

Your post actually led me to read that T-nation article...after reading about 5 pages I had to stop. Interesting stuff.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Kurt, I'm 43 years old, under 10% body fat and weigh about 210. Been doing CF for three years, exactly as written, 3 on 1 off. My lifts are 385 DL (not sumo), 350 narrow stance full squat, and between 305 and 320 bench (depending). My last 10k was 54 minutes and my last 5k was 23 minutes. Try this workout: 3 rounds of Run 400 meters, 21 1 pood KB swings, 12 pull ups, for time. Try to do this workout in under 15 minutes...all questions about sprinting will be answered.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
Alex McClung

Profile:
Kurt,

Welcome. This is a great place for form and function. Me: 44 yo, BW = 225, ~20% fat, 18 months into it. I came from nothing. Crossfit WOD alone got me up to squat 335, straight-bar DL 365, bench 225. I complete about 60% of the WODs as written. Getting bigger might not happen, but you will get stronger and much more athletic.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

Wow, thanks for all the replies, appreciate it.

Allen,
Where can I find Coach Ruttman's ME+Crossfit system? Thanks.

Kurt
Old 02-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Kurt,

Here is a thread about it I just used the Search function and "Rutman ME" using and instead of or

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/10669.html

More details in the searches I'm sure but that is the one I found. There is a link to the performance menu issue that addresses specifically.

It is basically:
Crossfit Day
ME day
Crossfit Day
rest and repeat