CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-27-2006, 06:35 AM   #11
Michael Ledney

Profile:
OK, but it was a very long answer to a pretty simple question. Felt like a rant by the time I finished typing
Old 01-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
Marc Johnson

Profile:
It seems like a lot of talk is about diet. Would more protien be benificial to gaining mass?
Old 01-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
Rob McBee

Profile:
Hi Marc,

The following is an entry from Art DeVany's blog regarding more protein. It runs along the same ideas Sears puts forth in the "Zone" books as well as the main dietary points of "Natural Hormonal Enhancement" by Faigin.

"Hard" Gainers
December 30, 2005 01:31 PM
Naturally, individuals will gain muscle in different ways. Some may achieve large mass while others may not.

But, there is often a common element for hard gainers who work out long and hard and take all the supplements and yet gain little. I think I have finally got an explanation.

In a word, they are sugarburners. The excess protein they take to try to gain releases insulin. Excess protein is converted to sugar in the body (gluconeogenesis). It is a double hit: high insulin release from excess protein and conversion of the excess to sugar which raises insulin further. The protein-derived sugar that cannot be burned or stored (and very little can be stored in the liver and muscle) becomes fat. This makes the excess protein have a triple hit because that fat makes one more insulin resistant.

I suspect hard gainers on high protein have insulin levels that are soaring and they are becoming insulin resistant (many body builders do). Excess protein intake is almost as sure a prescription for insulin resistance as excess carbohydrate intake.

As these individuals become insulin resistant, they become sugar burners. They cease to burn fat and end up carrying too much body fat (a large percentage of people in the gym do).

When they cease to be able to access their fat, their cells must have sugar. Where does it come from between meals and during sleep? From muscle and bone, the largest sources of protein in the body.

They are wasting their muscle to feed their sugar burning and it is the excess protein that created the problem. If you have a problem fat area around the middle and can't gain muscle like you would like, check your protein intake. It is probably too high. I am so insulin sensitive, with basal insulin of just 3.4, that I put on muscle just looking at a barbell. Low insulin is the most reliable marker of longevity too. Virtually all centenarians that have been studied have low insulin in common.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Want to gain weight:
Increase your percentages of good fats (within the Zone schema), decrease your high-glycemic carbs (again, within the Zone schema), and get real, whole, as-little-cooked-as-you-can-stand meat for protein. If you are already as lean as you wish to be, add some more fat (2x, 3x, whatever) to your Zone blocks until you start gaining some fat-free mass. Pretty simple, easy to lay out.

Dr. G