CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
Andre Leblanc

Profile:
Hello. I was under the (likely mistaken) understanding that crossfit exercises are designed that you keep up the intensity with no break between reps. On one of the demos it shows a guy taking a break between pull-up reps. What is the order of importance generally during these workouts. For instance, I can do 15 pull-ups but not 20 unless I take a break. Do I do the 15, rest and then 5 or do I use an assist of some sort so I can do 20 reps without a rest. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 AM   #2
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
My feeling is that you do either, depending on the day, and both over time. Doing full weight builds strength; doing full intesity improves metabolic conditioning. In crossfit, you want both. Mix it up, but know that some WODs have everybody resting multiple times.

In your example, where you can do most of the specified reps, I'd suggest going full bore and resting as you must. I'd say the same if you could do 10 pullups. If you could only do five and might take 7 subsets to get in your first set of 20, it would make more sense to use an assist, so you don't stand around with worked arms getting little metabolic conditioning benefit. For something as fundamental as pullups, however, it could also be worthwhile once in a while to do those 7 subsets of 2-5 pullups, just to build your pullup strength. You can always add a band for your second set of 20, just to keep things from getting silly.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Which video was this?

I think only the advanced and elite CFers can complete some WODs without resting, but there's lots where I suspect no one can get away without a rest (e.g. Murph or GI Jane). The idea is to complete the WOD in as quick a time as possible. So the answer to your question will ultimately come from your own experience through experimentation. Think of it as, "minimum necessary break between reps." Lots of times I'm doing one rep followed by 10 or more seconds of rest--I'm thinking of those 50 HSPUs about 2 cycles back!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
If you were doing today's WoD, you would take your breaks between your sets of 3.

For a metcon workout, you'll most likely need to take breaks. You should take a break when you're form breaks down. Rest only as long as you need to to complete the reps. So, if you've 3 squats left, don't rest enough so that you're back to breathing normally.

I'm sure others will chime in
Old 08-08-2007, 05:22 AM   #5
Andre Leblanc

Profile:
Awesome. I appreciate the info.
Thanks guys.