CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
Ross Dijulio

Profile:
Re: Westside etc. - please read

I am starting to implement some conjugate principals in my training next week. I was hoping I could get some critiques of my proposed plan for the next three weeks. (The ME lifts change weekly but the assistance exercises stay the same).

ME LOWER
Week 1 ME Back Squat
Week 2 ME Front Squat
Week 3 ME Box Squat

A1. Glute Ham Bridge 3x8
A2. Good Mornings 3x8
GHD Sit-ups 3x20

ME Upper
Week 1 ME Press
Week 2 ME Bench Press
Week 3 ME Behind the Neck Press

A1. JM Press 3x8
A2. Pull Up 3x15
B1. Dumbbell Row 3x8
B2. Handstand Push Up 3x12
C1. Weighted Dips 3xMax at 35 lbs
C2. Strict Toes to Bar 3x10

I want to target my hamstrings and my lower back. I think those are my weaknesses when it comes to squatting/deadlifting etc. Earlier last year I worked up to a 180 1rm strict press, but since i got injured and can't get anything above 160. However, my 3 rep max is also 160 (I use the stretch reflex and touch and go at the rack position) So its obvious i have trouble getting the bar off the rack position, something I believe tricep strength would help me improve, that is why i have the JM press and the dips.

Let me know if anything can be altered, fixed, etc. I appreciate the help.

Ross
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Dijulio View Post
I am starting to implement some conjugate principals in my training next week. I was hoping I could get some critiques of my proposed plan for the next three weeks. (The ME lifts change weekly but the assistance exercises stay the same).

ME LOWER
Week 1 ME Back Squat
Week 2 ME Front Squat
Week 3 ME Box Squat

A1. Glute Ham Bridge 3x8
A2. Good Mornings 3x8
GHD Sit-ups 3x20

ME Upper
Week 1 ME Press
Week 2 ME Bench Press

A1. JM Press 3x8
A2. Pull Up 3x15
B1. Dumbbell Row 3x8

I want to target my hamstrings and my lower back. I think those are my weaknesses when it comes to squatting/deadlifting etc. Earlier last year I worked up to a 180 1rm strict press, but since i got injured and can't get anything above 160. However, my 3 rep max is also 160 (I use the stretch reflex and touch and go at the rack position) So its obvious i have trouble getting the bar off the rack position, something I believe tricep strength would help me improve, that is why i have the JM press and the dips.

Ross
For the ME lower day you might want to rotate a pull into the ME lifts--deficit deadlifts, rack pull or deadlift opposite your regular lift (sumo vs conventional).

For the ME upper, how does the behind the neck press affect your injury? I'm not a big fan of behind the neck for shoulder health. Are you using this cycle to beef up your press? If so sticking with the press focus seems reasonable, I wonder if a rack lockout press would be a better fit than the behind the neck press.

For the assitance work, depending on how you respond to volume, you might be hitting the tris too much--maybe pulling out one of the tri/press movements and putting in something for the rear delts/traps.

Overall this looks good.

How often will you be hitting metcons?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Dijulio View Post

ME LOWER
Week 1 ME Back Squat
Week 2 ME Front Squat
Week 3 ME Box Squat

A1. Glute Ham Bridge 3x8
A2. Good Mornings 3x8
GHD Sit-ups 3x20

ME Upper
Week 1 ME Press
Week 2 ME Bench Press

A1. JM Press 3x8
A2. Pull Up 3x15
B1. Dumbbell Row 3x8

Ross
I say that looks pretty good. I personally like to do my abdominal work on the lower days. Are you going to do any ME Deadlifts on the lower ME days? On the Upper Assistance exercises, I like to superset Chest and Back for the A1/A2 and then Shoulders and Chest/Tris on the B1/B2 and leave the arms for last. I noticed you like to do bodyweight exercises, which is great. How does this look?

A1: Pushups or Dumbbell Bench Press
A2: Barbell or Dumbbell Rows

B1: HSPU or Dumbbell Press/Pullups or Chinups
B2: Dips or Close Grip Pushups or Close-grip Dumbbell Press

C1: JM Press or any other triceps exercise
C2: Dumbbell Curls or anything for the biceps.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #14
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
This is kindof an aside, but part of the reason I think more well-known programs are, well, well-known and perhaps respected, is that there are a plethora of easy to read and follow charts and diagrams all over the web explicitly laying out the programs in their simplistic glory. You just can't misinterpret them. I think your CFJ articles have done an excellent job of laying out the rationale and maybe a deliberately generic template for a great program, but I think perhaps some people prefer/need the Even A Caveman Can Do It chart-style explanation.
Yep. People like to see monday: bench ()%, x reps, tuesday squat ()% x reps, etc...
Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Kauth View Post
Can we expect an updated article, I would be particularly interested in your opinion on not combining DE work with met-cons?
I might. I do have an article in the works about the importance of strength trainer for CFers.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I've been trying to figure what works best for me, but do you feel it would be better to do metcons on the off days or after the ME days?

With the metcons in the program would you cut back the volume on the ME and DE days or keep the volume the same?
I'm currently going with off days. I feel it becomes a form of active recovery for the heavy work in that case.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Apparently everyone else took that to mean no metcons on DE days. I took it as not including DE work in a metcon. Could you clarify Chris?

Right now I'm doing full westside plus 2 metcons in the evening after my morning DE session (cutting accessory volume down a little). I feel adequately recovered and am making gains in both areas.
Right, I think DE work should be totally separate from met-cons.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
Ross Dijulio

Profile:

Quote:
For the ME lower day you might want to rotate a pull into the ME lifts--deficit deadlifts, rack pull or deadlift opposite your regular lift (sumo vs conventional).

For the ME upper, how does the behind the neck press affect your injury? I'm not a big fan of behind the neck for shoulder health. Are you using this cycle to beef up your press? If so sticking with the press focus seems reasonable, I wonder if a rack lockout press would be a better fit than the behind the neck press.

For the assitance work, depending on how you respond to volume, you might be hitting the tris too much--maybe pulling out one of the tri/press movements and putting in something for the rear delts/traps.

Overall this looks good.

How often will you be hitting metcons?
I'll hitting metcons 2-3 times a week. I may spend one day a week devoted to the O-lifts, but probably just focusing on technique because i am afraid going to heavy can affect my ME days. My injury was a torn scaphoid ligament in the wrist so it has nothing to do with the shoulder. I want to get my press back up to 180, it used to be my best lift. I will probably incorporate rack lockouts later in the rotation. And for a pull I find the deadlift to be very taxing in comparative to squat motions but seeing as both you and paulo santos suggested it, ill replace it with the box squat and hit that in the later weeks. The tris are one of my weaknesses so I was trying to hit them pretty hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I say that looks pretty good. I personally like to do my abdominal work on the lower days. Are you going to do any ME Deadlifts on the lower ME days? On the Upper Assistance exercises, I like to superset Chest and Back for the A1/A2 and then Shoulders and Chest/Tris on the B1/B2 and leave the arms for last. I noticed you like to do bodyweight exercises, which is great. How does this look?

A1: Pushups or Dumbbell Bench Press
A2: Barbell or Dumbbell Rows

B1: HSPU or Dumbbell Press/Pullups or Chinups
B2: Dips or Close Grip Pushups or Close-grip Dumbbell Press

C1: JM Press or any other triceps exercise
C2: Dumbbell Curls or anything for the biceps.
i'll rotate in a deadlift variant for the box squat. Yeah I do like the look you designed, I'll go ahead and edit my routine a bit. Although I have to say I am a little biased against the dumbbell curls for biceps lol.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Yep. People like to see monday: bench ()%, x reps, tuesday squat ()% x reps, etc...
Does something like this work? (You can put in new numbers at the top for previous bests etc. to calculate it for you)

Last edited by Robert Fabsik : 11-23-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #20
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Does something like this work? (You can put in new numbers at the top for previous bests etc. to calculate it for you)
a little, but when it says dynamic upper body etc... that is really meaningless to someone ignorant of westside in general. basically people want to be spoon fed these programs so they know they're doing them right.