CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #71
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Want to see my abs!

The daily carb requirement is hotly debated around here. Some people do fine on minute amounts of carbs, some don't. I fall into the "don't" category, so my advice would be to give it a few weeks, see what your results are, and adjust accordingly.

If you do cut back on carbs, then yes, you would need to add protein or fat to make up the calories. The ultra-low carb folks here seem to be eating much more than 50% fat, but on the other hand you can expect a post from Darryl reporting that athletes need more carbs and that a high-fat diet has all sorts of bad effects.

Katherine
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #72
Chris J Mason

Profile:

If you want to optimize performance you need more carbs. If you want to optimize body composition you need less. That's it in a nutshell.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #73
Sara Schroeder

Profile:

What if I want it all?

Okay I'll be patient and keep going the way I am for a couple weeks to see how body composition changes as well as performance.

Thanks everyone!

By the way, I noticed on FitDay that Vitamin D and calcium both seem to be low. I remembered reading somewhere that Vitamin D supplements are recommended on Paleo, but that we receive enough calcium from our fruits and veggies. Is anyone here taking supplements and if so, what is your reasoning?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #74
Chris J Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Yates View Post
What if I want it all?

Okay I'll be patient and keep going the way I am for a couple weeks to see how body composition changes as well as performance.

Thanks everyone!

By the way, I noticed on FitDay that Vitamin D and calcium both seem to be low. I remembered reading somewhere that Vitamin D supplements are recommended on Paleo, but that we receive enough calcium from our fruits and veggies. Is anyone here taking supplements and if so, what is your reasoning?
One primary focus at a time. So, get your body composition where you want it first, then you can bump your carb intake a bit a go for optimal performance.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #75
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
What if I want it all?

Thanks everyone!

in regards to vitamin d, go stand out in the sun.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #76
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

I recently had my Vit D and Calcium checked and they were both great, so I've obviously getting enough from veggies (and the sun)
Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #77
Sara Schroeder

Profile:

Ha! Believe me, I'd be out in the sun right now if I could! It's 74 and gorgeous outside. However, I'm stuck in an office, so my sun-time is limited to weekends

Guess I'll quit being so obsessive about everything and do the best I can. I'd rather not take supplements (other than fish oil) if I don't have to.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #78
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Ha! Believe me, I'd be out in the sun right now if I could! It's 74 and gorgeous outside. However, I'm stuck in an office, so my sun-time is limited to weekends

Guess I'll quit being so obsessive about everything and do the best I can. I'd rather not take supplements (other than fish oil) if I don't have to.
you're white sara. you only need 15 minutes. go take a walk at lunch.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #79
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
What if I want it all?

Thanks everyone!

I know I am always above 100g carbs a day because of how much fruit I eat. Always. But, I still end up around 50% fat, 30% protein and 20% carbs because I eat a lot of everything. When I was dragging @ss for a month in metcons, upping my fat is what helped my performance, not upping my carbs. Again, that's just me, and Renee will probably point out that I train an eff ton .

I take fish oil (11g total, 6.6g EPA/DHA) and Vitamin D (2000IU) every day. I'm super white, and I'm not going to stand out in the sun any more than I already do since I just had a basal cell carcinoma removed.

I had a physical yesterday, and I am really curious to see what my blood tests show after 7 months of eating a clean, high fat diet.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #80
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I woudl takr the Vit D. I take 10k ius a day and I sleep alot better now than I did before.