CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #31
Justin Shipley

Profile:
Re: Mental Fitness

three ways to boost both your mental edge and physical effort without getting too 'out there'... 1. train with a partner; natural human competitive nature kicks in. 2. time everything you do, count everything you do; only if you track it can you try to top it. 3. get trained by a CF-sympathetic trainer; having someone there to both crack the whip AND iron out some technique issues as you go will improve performance.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #32
Marc Doucette

Profile:

I was reading Scientific American Mind the other day and came across a small article...

W/F/S Are the effects of HGH mental?

If you pursue the topic a little more you can read the studies and some related ones, I'm tied up with school work for tonight but I might dig a little more for your reading pleasure in the near future...

It simply suggests that the mental effects of thinking you are improving your performance might be enough on its on to increase your actual physical performance. Just more along the lines of healthy mind and body being the same thing. I'm not saying this particular study is gospel, just that I'd like to think they're touching on the truth.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #33
Alix Clark

Profile:

Great topic. If you're interested in learning more on a whole variety of topics The Learning Company has loads of university lectures for sale online. Check out www.teach12.com WFS - I find it's great for learning about stuff that I might never need but that is really interesting.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #34
Marc Doucette

Profile:

Also another great site to hang around is www.ted.com w/f/s...

I was happy when they had a video from there on the front page a few weeks ago.

It has influential people from all fields giving short talks to pique your interest in whatever it may be.

Watch a different one 3 days on, one day off imo.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #35
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Great thread!

Some opinions:

I think random workouts (and I don't mean 'just think up a lot of varied stuff to do' but actually mathematically random, with probabilities of selection for each exercise that can be modified if needed) can help with increasing mental activity in workouts.

The reason is, you do not know what is coming next. You have to physically as well as mentally prepare for it, 100%, not just some fraction of 100%.

In the case of drills, for example, if you just "go through the motions" your body and mind can "brace" against the outcome and the drill can lose intensity and effectiveness. For example, in fencing class a drill is someone thrusts to your chest and you do an inward parry (a block). Say you do this drill X number of times. You and your partner have a role, and both of you will do the same thing over and over. Will your mind be in your parry the 100th time you do it? Doubtful. You and your partner will just be responding to each others' expectations, and you'll reach a point where you both won't even have to think anymore. (this can be demonstrated by suddenly getting bonked on the head if your partner switches to that target on a whim).

Is this to say that these types of drills are not good? Nope. Obviously such deterministic drills are effective, they've more than proven that. But such things can be altered slightly. Instead of always thrusting to the chest on each repetition, have your partner either strike to your chest, fake like they will stab to your chest, or actually strike to the head, arm, etc. One can envision a monitor behind you, that only your partner can see, feeding him by text these randomly selected movements to do on you. This way you're thinking 100% about each and every movement you do, and so is your partner. Ya'll simply cannot "zone out".

In the case of exercising like going through a weight circuit or other type of workout, if you know what exercises are coming next, you can consciously or subconsciously alter your intensity on the current exercise in anticipation of the following exercises.

Shouldn't your mind only be on the current exercise? Shouldn't that exercise be all that exists in your world for the time you are doing it?

Does your mind get more worked up and agitated for the unknown that gets randomly selected from a hopper? I'd bet it does!

Justin

Last edited by Justin Z. Smith : 10-08-2008 at 03:14 PM.