CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #371
Jason Panicaro

Profile:
Re: Paleo with Carb Back-Loading Principals

Paulo I agree with you, even though I havent started yet it seems like it would work with Crossfit. I could see you needing a few more carbs due to the cardioesque nature of crossfit but if the most steady state cardio I do a day is 4-400m runs thats not bad. Like I said my programming follows strength and then a wod. What are guys eating at night for back loading besides bananas?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #372
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
Paulo I agree with you, even though I havent started yet it seems like it would work with Crossfit. I could see you needing a few more carbs due to the cardioesque nature of crossfit but if the most steady state cardio I do a day is 4-400m runs thats not bad. Like I said my programming follows strength and then a wod. What are guys eating at night for back loading besides bananas?
Rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes, pancakes, bagels, French toast, cookies, and occasionally, done ice cream.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #373
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Thanks for the list I appreciate it
Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #374
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
Also I didnt see in the book anywhere about multiple training sessions a day. I have a competition coming up what should I do on those two days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
. . .Dave can help you with the competition question . . .
Are you doing multiple workout sessions as part of your competition prep or are the only multiple workout days going to be during the competition?

I don't know what Kiefer would say, but I recommend conventional eating during the competition (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, all with carbs). I'm not positive it will always help, especially for short events, but I'm going to fail conservative on competition day and go ahead with them. Food choice and timing varies a lot from person to person but some suggestions for someone who likes paleo are:

-Pre-event meal 3-4 hours in advance with good carbs and protein (chicken, sweet potato and nuts perhaps). If the first event is too early in the morning for that then scale back the size and heaviness of the food. If I only had an hour I'd probably have 1/4 to 1/2 of an apple, a little peanut butter, and sliced turkey breast (and something with caffeine). I'd prefer that over an empty stomach, but you may not.

-Post event snack: High GI Carbs and protein. Liquid form will be easiest, 30+g carbs, 20+g protein. If you have another event really soon you may only want to sip on your shake/drink.

-Inter-event meal: If you've got 3+ hours before your next event get some food in (chicken, mashed sweet potato, and a banana would be a pretty good fit and easy to pack) and get away from the competition area to let yourself relax and not stay amped up for too long.

-After that days competition dinner should be plentiful quality food. Backload the nights before competition days with good carbs.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #375
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Single workouts leading to the competition....except for my strength training and then wod afterwards. I figured I would do exactly what you said for the competition. As far as drinking coffee in the morning, I cant stand coffee do you guys recommend anything else besides coffee to curb appetite? I know that water with fresh squeezed lemon juice is a an appetite suppressant.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #376
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

So heres a quick preview on what my day usually looks like WOD-wise:

5 rounds for time
750 meters
20 pull ups
15 box jumps @ 24 inch
10 ring dips

Gonna rest for 10 then....

AMRAP 30 Min:
10 Burpees
10 Pull ups
10 Squats
100 Meter Sprint

This is what my day usually looks like. Although this is tougher than usual. I only do two a-days twice a week. Usually one of them is like this and the other is usually a metcon and then a few hours later a swim wod. The last WOD that could be remotely considered strength based was several weeks ago. Im not a candidate for CBL....

- Nick
Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #377
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes, pancakes, bagels, French toast, cookies, and occasionally, done ice cream.

Have you tried Yucca (boiled or fried) and/or tostones and/or maduros? Stuff is freaking delicious...especially with some picadillo or cuban pulled pork aka lechon asado.

- Nick
Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #378
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas DaSilva View Post
Have you tried Yucca (boiled or fried) and/or tostones and/or maduros? Stuff is freaking delicious...especially with some picadillo or cuban pulled pork aka lechon asado.

- Nick
Oh yeah. Now we are talking. That and some Paelha, rice and beans with pork. All of the ethnic foods.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #379
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas DaSilva View Post

This is what my day usually looks like. Although this is tougher than usual. I only do two a-days twice a week. Usually one of them is like this and the other is usually a metcon and then a few hours later a swim wod. The last WOD that could be remotely considered strength based was several weeks ago. Im not a candidate for CBL....

- Nick
I think everyone should do heavy lifting, but if you are determined to do an all metcon approach, I think CBL could still yield body comp improvements.

See post #147 on page 15 for my rationale there.

Maybe Kiefer insists on heavy lifting so that you don't get rail thin runners and scrawny fitness enthusiasts running around saying they are using Kiefer's Carb Backloading?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #380
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i load... basically i do a food loading diet... i front load and back load... basically i just eat too much food all the time... it hasn't helped my body comp much but i am enjoying the diet