CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #361
Jeremy Green

Profile:
Re: Paleo with Carb Back-Loading Principals

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Blood Results! I went and got blood work done because I was curious and the results are in:

Cholesterol, Total: 177 mg/dl
Triglycerides: 43 mg/dl
HDL: 60 mg/dl
LDL (calculated): 108 mg/dl
VLDL: 9 mg/dl

I have records for 2 other lipid profiles, one in 2010, and one from this time last year, and these are actually slightly better than either. Go figure. Of course I have been dialing back the backloads somewhat in terms of junk (not stuffing myself with apple pies anymore) but still eating more refined sugars than usual.
Congrats on the healthy BW!

I toyed with CBL around the holidays but decided to stick with a paleo approach to things. My intro phase will be over on Friday and i'm ready to eat! I'm trying to figure out the best times and ways to load/workout. I'm finishing up the intro phase and i'm ready to backload.
My work schedule is currently MWF 1130-8pm, T/TR 5am-130. I usually workout around 10 when i open and 5 when i close. After reading through the board i'm still a bit conufsed on the timings for the loads. On the days I open, should i still load the night before? I'm sticking with 5/3/1 and working out Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #362
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Green View Post
Congrats on the healthy BW!

I toyed with CBL around the holidays but decided to stick with a paleo approach to things. My intro phase will be over on Friday and i'm ready to eat! I'm trying to figure out the best times and ways to load/workout. I'm finishing up the intro phase and i'm ready to backload.
My work schedule is currently MWF 1130-8pm, T/TR 5am-130. I usually workout around 10 when i open and 5 when i close. After reading through the board i'm still a bit conufsed on the timings for the loads. On the days I open, should i still load the night before? I'm sticking with 5/3/1 and working out Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday.
If you workout at 5pm, then I'd backload afterwards. If you workout at 10am, then backload the night before and have two bananas after you workout.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #363
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Hey everyone...Ive read most of the last 30 or so pages and I also bought the CBL book. I have a couple quick questions regarding everything. I typically follow a 5 on 2 off workout schedule with strength work at the beginning of my workout, followed by a short wod (usually less than 12 mins). Will CBL work with this training regimen or no? Also I didnt see in the book anywhere about multiple training sessions a day. I have a competition coming up what should I do on those two days? Also in the book he mentions eating pizza and all kinds of crazy "dirty" foods. What is everyone eating as far as the back load goes thats a little healthier? From what I can understand its paleo until you backload and on off days its all paleo. Last question is did you guys skip breakfast on the ramp up days or just kept carbs under 30? Thanks guys.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #364
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
Hey everyone...Ive read most of the last 30 or so pages and I also bought the CBL book. I have a couple quick questions regarding everything. I typically follow a 5 on 2 off workout schedule with strength work at the beginning of my workout, followed by a short wod (usually less than 12 mins). Will CBL work with this training regimen or no? Also I didnt see in the book anywhere about multiple training sessions a day. I have a competition coming up what should I do on those two days? Also in the book he mentions eating pizza and all kinds of crazy "dirty" foods. What is everyone eating as far as the back load goes thats a little healthier? From what I can understand its paleo until you backload and on off days its all paleo. Last question is did you guys skip breakfast on the ramp up days or just kept carbs under 30? Thanks guys.
I do strength + a Metcon and it works fine. Dave can help you with the competition question. And skip/delay breakfast on the ramp up. Make sure you supplement your diet with fiber supplement like Konsyl.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #365
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Why supplement with fiber? Just the lack of eating fiber?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #366
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Would've loved been able to do this. Im currently on SEALFit regiment to prepare for selection and I rarely get a strength day, much less consistent strength days. Any way to tweak it?

- Nick

Last edited by Nicholas DaSilva : 04-04-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: content
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #367
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
Why supplement with fiber? Just the lack of eating fiber?
Exactly.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #368
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas DaSilva View Post
Would've loved been able to do this. Im currently on SEALFit regiment to prepare for selection and I rarely get a strength day, much less consistent strength days. Any way to tweak it?

- Nick
You can still do it. If you workout in the afternoon, backload after one of your strength days. If you workout in the morning, backload td night before a strength day.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #369
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas DaSilva View Post
So I've been reading over the last several pages and am pretty much on-board. Only issue Im having is this seems to be a protocol mostly geard towards strength/resistance training and at the time im focusing mainly on bodyweight/SEALFit type wods to train for selection. I can, myself, add a day or two of some heavy compound lifts but the programming doesnt really call for that, mainly just bodyweight metcons with a good amount of running and swimming as well. Im reaching out to ya'll to see if this would be an issue. Also, im an afternoon WODer. Typically 1700-1800, which I hate because im a morning person, but I cant get a morning wod in before work.

- Nick
Kiefer is pretty explicit that CBL was designed to work with a heavy lifting strength program. Check out one of his recent blog posts (which I guess is an excerpt from CBL).

"The type of training you do, however, is just as important. Iíve talked throughout this book about resistance training, so it shouldnít come as any surprise that Carb Back-Loading isnít intended for people who engage in endurance training.

Endurance training includes (but isnít limited to) running, cycling, rowing, cross-country skiing, aerobics, and spin classes. Endurance training a muscle decreases tGLUT concentration, doesnít translocate tGLUT, and may even impair tGLUT function[1}, thereby forgoing skeletal muscle preference to store glucoseóand giving fat cells an opportunity to store it as fat.

NOTE: Neither endurance-type trainingói.e., marathon training or CrossFitónor purely eccentric training (Mike Mentzerís Heavy Duty) translocate tGLUT. Donít use either of these types of training exclusively while Carb Back-Loading.

Be aware that some types of endurance training use resistance-assisted movements to increase endurance. Despite the use of a few bumper plates, this type of training is biomechanically and molecularly identical to traditional modes of endurance training.

Recent years have ďblessedĒ us with several of these hybrid, whole-body training programs designed to devastate the energy systems of the body without providing much benefit. Such programs include P90X (and its successor P90X2), Insanity, and CrossFit. Carb Back-Loading, as outlined in this book, is not suited to these training modalities for the same reasons endurance training isnít. If you want to go with these programs, youíll require a completely different nutritional protocol, which Iíll address in a future book."
http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5...ack-loading-2/ (WFS)

Obviously, that doesn't mean that you can't try it or that it won't work for you. Sounds like people are using it successfully with different types of routines. But to the extent CBL protocol takes advantage of any biochemical or biological mechanisms, heavy lifting supposedly enables that process.

Of course, my cynical side says this is just a way for him to tweak his recommendations and publish another book later targeted at the growing Crossfit audience.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #370
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I don't really buy into the idea that carb backloading doesn't work with CrossFit. Maybe some of the cardio based workouts, but I'd say that it works with most, just as long as you are also getting some good strength work in there.