CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Mitch Medeiros

Profile:
"CrossFit" rings for gymnastics movements

Has anyone out there used Rogue/Again Faster/Rage/Etc rings for the big swinging gymnastics movements you see at the higher levels?

I'm curious is the clips will hold up. At our gym, we have Rage rings/straps with a cam buckle closure. I wondering if the cam will hold or if it's going to slip and leave me in a bad spot.

If any of you guys (or girls with ring experience) are former gymnasts please let me know what you think.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Re: "CrossFit" rings for gymnastics movements

Mitch,

If you're going to dynamically invert, I recommend two things: pro gymnastics rings with swivels and a crash mat. Don't ***** around with your melon.

The cam buckles on our sub-$100 wooden ring/strap sets, and every other ring on the market, are meant to feed one way, and to prevent slippage in the opposite direction. They are "moto" buckles, much improved from the first generation that you saw on early iterations of CrossFit-targeted rings. Generally, they won't slip, and if you're kipping and doing static strength movements, you're good to go.

That said, when you get into putting your head below your feet during dynamic movement, it's time to buy big boy rings, and to have an 8" mat under you.

The way I look at it, you're literally taking your life in your hands if you don't take appropriate precautions for giants, ring handstands, etc. When I was learning the forward roll to support, I had my bouldering mats stacked under me.

Good luck, Brother. Hope that helps.

Best,

Jon
Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Joey Allen

Profile:

Jon, that's some excellent advice. Thanks for your contribution good sir.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I know of one gym that ended up using a set for their lil guys. Mind you only rec kids were on these rings from what I saw. So worst case scenario, 115lbs maybe that couldn't swing nowhere near a high level.

Consider that the Paoli kipping MU is basically a front uprise which is an A level.

Still, over time, I'd expect the straps to fail eventually as they get chewed up and I'm just talking about crossfitters doing kipping muscle-ups. Nothing like compulsory ring routines.

They are probably safe enough for kips and a L4 ring routine. Really, most people wouldn't want to do inlocates or dislocates with them because they wouldn't be sprung.

Might work for doing double backs into a pit but again over time you are tempting the devil.