CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
I have always heard that if you lose more than 3 lbs.per week you are losing muscle. Any scientific info. on this? I have recently gotten very serious about my consumption and don't want to overdo it.

Thanks,

DanO
Old 02-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Mike Ryan

Profile:
The rule of thumb is 1-2 lbs per week. If you are very large, a little more is OK, but remember that to lose a pound of fat you need to create a deficit of ~3600 kcal, two pounds - 7200 kcal. This will come from a reduction in intake and an increase in expenditure. That is a big deficit and the body can't burn FAT much faster than that. Personally, I feel that if you are eating the right foods (zone, paleo, etc) the deficit should come more from expenditure that restricted intake. The trick is (and I am struggling with this currently) figuring out what the right intake is as a baseline. I am working with the Zone, and have just switched from 4/2 to 5/2 (4 block meals, 2 block snacks) because I was feeling tired during the day and not seeing significant decreases in body fat. I was concerned that my body was slowing down to fight perceived starvation. I'll let you know how it works for me.

Mike.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
I just cut out the sugar and most grains. My wife bakes bread (grinds the wheat in the kitchen!)which I may eat one or two slices per day. Breakfast is 3-4 eggs scrambles w/spices & olive oil and a piece of fruit; lunch is meat and veggies; dinner is meat and veggies, maybe a slice of bread. I drink water and green tea. I snack on pistachios and other nuts a little at a time during the day.

I'll try to add some smaller meals in between and maybe up the good carbs a bit. I'll stick to the 2lbs/week as much as I can.

Thanks,

DanO
Old 02-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Don't worry about upping the carbs. Instead, start upping the healthy fats. Try some salmon oil or other fish oil. Try some macadamia nuts. It sounds wierd but you have to eat fat to lose fat. You also have to balance your carbs and protien. Try looking at some of the threads on the zone.