CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #291
Carline Saintilien

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

You raised many valid points.

I wouldn't say I was nervous, but overwhelmed in anticipation of all the meetings I had to have before I was back on a plane for another 11 hours.

And I definitely agree, that acute "there is a problem" pain is different from healing pain. But also very hard to distinguish.

I've been cleared to resume all lower body exercises, but to take precautions with upper body exercises. A few weeks ago I did one yoga session, but I modified positions that would put stress on my shoulders.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #292
Selina McFall

Profile:

Carline

Out of interest, which positions did you modify in your class? Could you do downward dog?

Last edited by Selina McFall : 07-15-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #293
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

Yes, I was able to do a downward dog. No headstands of course, no planks, etc.

At this point in my recovery, I do have full ROM. Also, prior to surgery I wasn't in extreme pain but more achy, had this discomfort sense of pain. Or better yet more like a sore feeling.

The symptom that was most significant was a "dead" arm or heavy arm. My right arm would get fatigued very easily.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #294
Selina McFall

Profile:

Gravel

At what stage did you start running again? I think I may be signed off to do it fairly soon (the doctor originally said about 6 weeks, when I get the sling off). However, I'm nervous about tripping. Not that I can recall ever falling over whilst just running, not since I was at school anyway!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #295
Gravel Brown

Profile:

I started running at 8 weeks, as soon as my sling came off. It was kinda funky at the start as my right arm was still very stiff, so I had a weird style for a while.

I think running also helped my ROM a bit as it really gets things moving and the blood flowing, so in short I'd definitely recommend it.

As you mentioned, just don't fall over, at 8 weeks things have only just knitted back together so a fall wouldn't be good.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #296
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina McFall View Post
Gravel

At what stage did you start running again? I think I may be signed off to do it fairly soon (the doctor originally said about 6 weeks, when I get the sling off). However, I'm nervous about tripping. Not that I can recall ever falling over whilst just running, not since I was at school anyway!
Selina when given the OK , I will tell my patients to try treadmill and that way you can hold on if you feel unbalanced, Sean
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #297
Selina McFall

Profile:

Things are going well at 5.5 weeks post surgery. I see the surgeon again tomorrow.

I had physio again today - really feel like I make progress with each visit. He spends a lot of time locating the areas causing the blockages in my external rotation and then on deep massage of those areas. The difference is immediately noticeable.

Two weeks ago when I last saw the surgeon he wasn't happy with my level of external rotation. It's now comfortably at 45 degrees, and at the end of my physio session today was approaching 55/ 60.

One thing I have learnt this week is that an outdoor swimming pool is extremely cold when a hurricane has dropped about 5 or 6 inches of rain in it in the last 24 hours! Hoping for the sun to come out, as I only managed two sets of my exercises today before I had to get out. The physio says the cold is good for it though!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #298
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carline Saintilien View Post
Gravel, I am freaking out.

I had my 5.5 months post-op visit with my surgeon and he is concerned about the pain and discomfort that I am still experiencing. Currently, I would rate the pain between a 2-3 on the pain scale because I am conscious of it.

My surgeon and PT always assured me that I could experience pain with increased activity and for up to a year.

Between May through June Iíve taken a couple of business trips and long weekend leisure trips. After each event/trip, Iíve felt increased pain to the point I am guarded. However, after a few days the intense pain dissipates and Iím back to about a 2/3 on the pain scale. Its more soreness than extreme pain.

During my visit I got the impression that I shouldnít be experiencing any pain/discomfort/soreness because it has been 5.5 months since my surgery and I had only a grade 2/3 anterior labrum tear.

So he gave me the option to go and get an MRI to confirm all is well now; or to continue with PT for about 1-2 months and if there is no change in my pain rate, then go and get an MRI. To be quite honest, I am freaking out.

As they say, ignorance is BLISS. And what I don't know won't hurt me.

In the event, I am still having issues where surgical intervention is warranted, wouldn't that cause more problems in the future?

I was fine before, just knowing that it may take up to year feel next to normal.
Carline,

Just to give you another point of experience, I'm at about 10.5 months and I still experience some pain. I travel for work from time to time as well and that actually causes my shoulder to flair up. Sitting/driving in on position for hours on end, questionable food exposure and lack of sleep, for me, seems to cause some systemic inflammation that bothers my shoulder.

For me my external rotation is a-okay it's my internal rotation that is still tight. I'm working on it with an ART practitioner and it's coming along. I stopped PT in March.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #299
Selina McFall

Profile:

I haven't really done much work on internal rotation yet. The doctor said it's not such a concern as external rotation at this stage, as of course the sling holds it internally rotated. I think the work on internal rotation is only going to be at the extreme end of the ROM (reaching behind my back or right across my front) which I haven't started yet. I think that will probably start once I'm out of the sling. Whereas with external rotation, even getting it to neutral was a challenge at first!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #300
Selina McFall

Profile:

saw the doctor today -* no more sling!* Although I will continue to wear it in crowds for a few weeks.
My passive ROM is now back to 170 for forward flexion and abduction, and about 45 in external rotation – which is double what it was for ER two weeks ago so he’s pleased with that progress.
He said I can now be more aggressive at physio to regain full ROM and start active assisted movements.* In terms of movements I can do (or attempt to, as some will still be stiff) pretty much anything, apart from reaching my arm over the top of my head and stretching down as if to scratch my back between my shoulder blades.* For now I can take my hand as far as the back of my head.* But reaching behind my back at waist height, or across the front of my body, is allowed.
In terms of activity I can run and hike (as long as the surfaces aren’t too challenging requiring any use of upper body, or making me likely to trip), and use a spin bike.* I’m not allowed to swim yet.* I can lift light items in front of my body – e.g. a dinner plate, or my handbag, but mustn’t lift them above my head.* I mustn’t start strengthening exercises, or lift anything of real weight, for another 6 weeks.* Holding on to a handle above my head on public transport is out, as is pulling myself up the stairs on a bus.
In terms of pain I have very little most of the time.* Physio hurts quite a lot – particularly movements with external rotation, and massage.* But I’m now not getting much residual aching following a session as I was a few weeks’ ago. *
So I’m feeling pretty positive today, and looking forward to being able to do some exercise again! *I think I will start with fitness walking (up the Peak in Hong Kong is good for that!), then progress to running once I feel more confident.* I could use a treadmill and other CV equipment at the gym now, but I’ve suspended my membership for three months, and it would be rather expensive to re-activate it just for CV exercise which can easily be done for free outside!