CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #241
Selina McFall

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

I saw the surgeon again today and went into more detail on the procedure and recovery. He wants me to wear the sling most of the time for 6 weeks, and start physio after 2 weeks. I told him about the questions raised about returning to sport after 3 months, and he reiterated that if I am dedicated with the physio then I should be able to play my sports (not all sports) after 3 months, and I'll be ready to ski well before the northern hemisphere ski season. He did say that some other sports (overhead racquet sports for example) would take longer than 3 months.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #242
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

Hi Gravel...

and all recovering SLAP repair crossfitters (and Dr. Rockett). I am approximately 5 months post op. Pre-op, I wasn't stiff but just weak and in pain. According to my doc and PT, I have been progressing well.

In the past 3 weeks, I've been traveling... and I've noticing intermittent pain around the top of my shoulder and biceps area. It isn't constant. It starts off as a dull ache. And then a throbing sharp pain. And then it will go away.

Sometimes holding a cup or plate, my arms/hands shake a bit and have this weird feeling of weakness. In the past few days I felt like I could drop an object (plate/cup). If happen to lean on the repaired arm or sleep on it, I feel lots of pain and soreness, but more sore.

So I wonder if this is all of the "healing period" or I've simply been over doing it. Or worse, I did something really wrong.

Also, does anyone know the average time it takes for anchors to be fully secured to the bone?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #243
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carline Saintilien View Post
Hi Gravel...

and all recovering SLAP repair crossfitters (and Dr. Rockett). I am approximately 5 months post op. Pre-op, I wasn't stiff but just weak and in pain. According to my doc and PT, I have been progressing well.

In the past 3 weeks, I've been traveling... and I've noticing intermittent pain around the top of my shoulder and biceps area. It isn't constant. It starts off as a dull ache. And then a throbing sharp pain. And then it will go away.

Sometimes holding a cup or plate, my arms/hands shake a bit and have this weird feeling of weakness. In the past few days I felt like I could drop an object (plate/cup). If happen to lean on the repaired arm or sleep on it, I feel lots of pain and soreness, but more sore.

So I wonder if this is all of the "healing period" or I've simply been over doing it. Or worse, I did something really wrong.

Also, does anyone know the average time it takes for anchors to be fully secured to the bone?
Hi Carline,

In my experience it is completely normal to feel both sharp and dull pains throughout the recovery. I felt pain right up to about the 10 month mark. I was so paranoid about re-tearing my shoulder, everytime i felt the pain i was wondering if id re-damaged it. I always described my pain as like a tooth-ache in my shoulder joint. As strange as it sounds that what it felt like.

My surgeon and PT always kept reassuring me that it is completely normal and its just the joint getting used to things again, ie lifting, rotating etc etc. Youre shoulder has been immobile for a period of time it does become very weak, so any lifting, strengthening type movement will make it a tad inflammed. Just listen to your body and back off when it feels sore. This is how i went about it anyhow and it seemed to work for me. Sometimes mine would hurt for up to a week before going back to normal.

My surgeon said that if i was to re-tear something the pain would be unbearable and id definately know that something major was wrong. He also said it would require something substantial to re-tear it, ie a heavy fall on that arm or similar.

The one thing that i have noticed is that my pain has gone away ever since i started lifting decent weights again in the gym. I guess its because my shoulder is now strong again, not sure but now at 12 months it feels completely normal.

Good to hear your tracking along well though. Stay focussed, it gets better quick from here!!

Last edited by Gravel Brown : 06-11-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #244
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

Thanks for your feedback. I can't help but be nervous.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #245
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. I can't help but be nervous.
I know the feeling all too well, i was exactly the same. Being slightly paranoid is a good thing though as it keeps you careful.

Just remember, it would take something quite substantial to re-tear it, ie a heavy fall, heavy loading too soon in the gym etc etc. And if you were to re-tear you would definintely know about it... ie intense pain.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #246
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Hi Gravel...

Hi Carline, the anchors were secure at the time of your surgery, it is the labrum growing into the bone that takes 3 months for a mature scar to form. Aches and pains are common, if it persists check back with your surgeon, Good luck, Sean
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #247
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

Thanks Gravel.

I did have a heavy fall a few days ago, but I'm not in intense pain. So I guess thats a good thing.

Last edited by Carline Saintilien : 06-13-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: needed to add something
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #248
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

Thanks Dr. Rockett. Its been about 5 months so I should be good. I have a follow up in a few weeks with my surgeon. But I will definitely follow up sooner if the pain gets worse.

My ROM hasn't regressed but I wonder that is even possible.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #249
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks Dr. Rockett. Its been about 5 months so I should be good. I have a follow up in a few weeks with my surgeon. But I will definitely follow up sooner if the pain gets worse.

My ROM hasn't regressed but I wonder that is even possible.
Try ice 3 times per day for 30 mins and stacks of fish oil. Worked wonders for me when mine flared up.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #250
Selina McFall

Profile:

Had my surgery 2 days ago and all seems ok so far. Apart from lack of sleep from seleping in the sling. Thing I will be able to do most things, but am wondering how on earth i;ll wash my (long) hair one handed without getting dressing wet. Any tips please?