CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Carline Saintilien

Profile:
6-week Post-Op - A Step Back in Recovery?

Today is officially my 6th week post-op SLAP repair surgery. I feel as though I have taken a step back in my recovery.

Since thursday evening I've been experiencing a constant gnawing, sharp pain in my shoulder. And the pain is further heightened and aggravated by minimal activity. I have no clue what I did wrong. I haven't been able to sleep on my back or even at an angle through the night. This is so frustrating.

I've been trying to retrace my steps to figure out what I did wrong to be experiencing so much pain. Also, I feel as though my ROM has decreased a bit, the home exercise routines are painful and uncomfortable. So I've been resting more than being diligent.

I freaking out! This can't be normal. Is it?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: 6-week Post-Op - A Step Back in Recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carline Saintilien View Post
Today is officially my 6th week post-op SLAP repair surgery. I feel as though I have taken a step back in my recovery.

Since thursday evening I've been experiencing a constant gnawing, sharp pain in my shoulder. And the pain is further heightened and aggravated by minimal activity. I have no clue what I did wrong. I haven't been able to sleep on my back or even at an angle through the night. This is so frustrating.

I've been trying to retrace my steps to figure out what I did wrong to be experiencing so much pain. Also, I feel as though my ROM has decreased a bit, the home exercise routines are painful and uncomfortable. So I've been resting more than being diligent.

I freaking out! This can't be normal. Is it?
talk to your surgeon
Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

I actually have f/u this week. The suspense is killing me.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback. I think its great that this board has an opportunity to gain insight and feedback from an expert.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Jack Swanson

Profile:

I had a SLAP repair procedure done back on November 18, and a week into physical therapy at about 7-7.5 weeks out post op I had a fallen while hiking and had a sharp shooting pain at the top of the bicep. When I first told my pt she was extremely scared for me because that was the region of where the procedure was. What happened was that when I fell I apparently ended up tearing scar tissue and had an increase in ROM but she delayed my strength training because of the pain. The pain eventually resided about two or so weeks after but in physical therapy itself you experience pain with the mobility exercises and strengthening exercises as well. I hope this helps but the best thing is to talk to your surgeon and physical therapist, they know where you are at specifically and then they can also compare your situation with someone else they have worked with before. Wish you the best of luck; I know how scary it is to think you may have re-injured the repair.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

Thanks Jack. I had a PT session today and my PT lessened my fears a bit by assuring me that my symptoms were normal. But I will inform my surgeon this week as well.

What's strange is, it even hurts to pick up and drink a beverage (OJ in the AM in a paper cup). That's the pain I felt post op. My PT suggested to know lift or carry anything weighing more than a paper clip. Which is quite conservative. I've used the arm/hand to pick up items much heavier, like a towel. So I know now I need to be careful and mindful.

I was freaked and stressed out this entire weekend. I even had nightmares. Scared is exactly how I've been feeling.

Thank you soooooooo much for sharing your experience.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Jack Swanson

Profile:

Absolutely I am glad that I could help! That's the joy of this discussion board. But you really do need to very careful at least until you start strength training more but your pt will be all over you. I have been told that I can start long distance running on Friday so I am very ecstatic about that. Recovery is all about steps it sucks as crossfitters because majority of us are so impatient. Stick to everything you pt tells you and I'm sure you will recover very well.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Hey Carline,

I've posted some info on your shoulder in my blog, a few thoughts about my experiences with similar issues.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

Thanks so much Gravel. I will check it out!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

If there was no big incident such as falling on the arm or something I wouldn't worry about it all that much.

I mean, if you had an intense PT session, and then you slept wrong, then the weather suddenly gets cold, and then you have some family emergency and whatever else... things can compound and cause pretty bad pain.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that you have any issues or that you retore it.

Even a huge pop with pain does not necessarily mean you did damage to it -- sometimes it's just the breaking up of scar tissue.

Worrying contributes to the problem so try not to do that so much.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Carline Saintilien

Profile:

Gosh, its soooooooooo difficult not to worry. Especially when the pain is so intense that it keeps you up all night.

Fortunately, the intense pain has subsided. I realize now, thankfully after reviewing all your posts and feedback that my symptoms were completely normal. PT and surgeon confirmed it too. All normal.

I really just need to be patient. So many of you are currently at several months post surgery and I'm only at 6 weeks. Perhaps this is all mental and I simply need to suck it up and deal with it.

Thank you again.