CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #211
Sean Rockett
Member Sean Rockett is offline
 
Sean Rockett's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Natick  MA
Posts: 657
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carline Saintilien View Post
Today was my 5th week post-op. In PT, my ROM has improved significantly. I see my doc next week for my 2nd post op visit. I suspect he may clear me to drive especially since I do have an automatic. But we shall see.

Unfortunately, I never learned how drive stick shift, but I would assume both arms needs to be in tip top shape.
yes i don't let my patients drive stick shift for 6 weeks from OR
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #212
Gravel Brown
Member Gravel Brown is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Adelaide  South Australia
Posts: 246
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Paiva View Post
Hi All and ofcourse Mr GRavel Brown,

I am now 9.5 weeks out of my SLAP 2 repair, Bicep tendon split tear repair and RT cuff repair. He has told me that I have 7 anchors in my shoulder! Was pretty shocked, not as shocked as when the bill came! Over 100 000 Rand! Trust me even in SOuth Africa that is dam expensive! Thank goodness I can afford medical aid and gap cover insurance. All I paid for the op was for and admin fee and the sling and the first course of meds and a repeat script.

Had my 1st PT session 3 weeks ago. PT was extreemely impressed with my progress. Lay on my back and moved my arm backwards to 160 degrees, she she said in her experience, she has only been able to get people's arms to 90 degrees. She has given me more exercises to do, much like home program that pysio at hospital gave me. Its what she calls assisted passive movements. The only real extra exercise is a wakling finger up wall and down again movement. 1st time was super weak on downward part, but gradually been getting stronger.

Last week had my 2nd post op with my ortho, his words were, "Well Mr Paiva you could not have asked for a better recovery!" He reckons He has seen people at 6 months where I am now( (9.5 weeks or just over 3 months). He owes alot of my speedy recovery to my age (26) and the fact that I had 6 months of pre-hab with my pysio. Which the main focus was keeping ROM and strength of uninjured and supporting muscles. I tend to agree, this must have made a difference and my Orthro agrees! I had 6 months as my job only really allowed my to have op during my holiday leave over Xmas and New year. So I then made sure I went for the pre-hab as I had time.

In saying that, I have been extremely diligent and disciplined with the rehab exercises. The day after my op I started the home program! Carried on until my 1st post op and then carrying on same attitude after seeing pysio. Sounds so overused but....ITS ALL ABOUT THE REHAB guys and gals! Really is. a positive attitude is what helps too. I want to do football and lifesaving again and train like I did before the injury..I can and will! But....in the right time.

Lastly, if you can invest in prehab guys and gals, I am 100% sure it has helped in speeding up my recovery.

Keeps posts coming, love the views and comments etc.

All the best people!

Jared
Great to hear its going so well Jared, its funny how different people heal at different speeds, you seem to well ahead of the curve, especially after having 7 anchors installed. As you mentioned above mate, stay disciplined with your rehab and youll be fine, definately sounds like youre already on the right track.

Ive just clicked over 9 months post op. Im back in the gym doing the following 3 times per week:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:

4km interval running on a treadmill.

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday:

4 x 12 reps at 70kg on the flat bench.

4 x 12 reps at 30kg standing preacher curl.

4 x 12 reps at moderate weight seated row.

4 x 12 reps at moderate weight deadlift.

Im doing the above just to try get some general strength back before i look at doing anything more serious. I feel as if i need to get a basic platform back before i get too carried away with things.

Having said that ive just had another flare up after picking my daughter up out of the bath 4 days ago. I was a little stiff and sore already from a week of weights and reaching out to pick her up gave me a bit of a jabbing pain which has now resulted i a few more days of general soreness. Ive backed off of everything since, listening to my body, and no doubt with a bit of rest itll get back to feeling great again.

Funny how even here at 9 months post op things can still flare up. These shoulder things keep you guessing, right when you think youre at the end of the tunnel... you have to slow things down again, slightly frustrating but at this stage im quite used to it...

On a good note i had my final PT session last week, he was pleased with my progress and said that i no longer need to see him. Im back in to see the surgeon again next week for his opinion but all going well hopefully that may be the last time i see him also.

Fingers crossed.

Stay positive guys... its a long, frustrating, yet worthwhile road.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #213
Brian De Mio
Member Brian De Mio is offline
 
Brian De Mio's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 79
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Don't know if this will help any of you but it's done wonders for my shoulder. Two years out from a complete labral tear still with problems but this rehab program has been tremendous for bringing my shoulder back.

www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab

I still go back time to time and do the program.
__________________
I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. ~Author Unknown
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #214
Gravel Brown
Member Gravel Brown is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Adelaide  South Australia
Posts: 246
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian De Mio View Post
Don't know if this will help any of you but it's done wonders for my shoulder. Two years out from a complete labral tear still with problems but this rehab program has been tremendous for bringing my shoulder back.

www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab

I still go back time to time and do the program.
Thanks for sharing Brian, the program looks good. I'll give it a go for the next few weeks and report back on the results. Those look like sensible exercises to still be doing, even when a little bit sore.

Appreciate it mate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #215
Ken Jackson
Member Ken Jackson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: College Station  TX
Posts: 26
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Wow Gravel, I bet after nine months of rehab, that must have scared you a little bit. Hope that you are ok. Great news for my FOUR WEEK post op visit with the surgeon. He has released me from the sling. I really thought I was never getting out of that thing, I'll take that as my first victory in the many stages of rehab to come. I am still going to wear it in public because right after I left the Dr's office, I went to the box to get a bike ride in and was promptly slapped on the back of the shoulder (thank goodness it wasn't on the top or front). He was very sorry and totally forgot because the sling was not on giving him a visual reminder. Sleeping for now has been limited to lying on my back or on my non-repaired side. Waking up 2-3 times per night now with some mild pain. As for the PT, everything is on par except for the external rotation, but, without the rehab, there is no telling how long it would take to recover. I was wondering how I would know if I pulled an anchor or otherwise re-injured my shoulder and the Dr's answer was pretty simple. He said that I may feel a pull, pop, or some other pains, but not to worry. The scar tissue is also breaking up and after one of these events I should notice more ROM. If I regress in ROM in the next two days, I probably did some damage. Anyone feel free to comment on that if you like. Good luck everyone on your recoveries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #216
Gravel Brown
Member Gravel Brown is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Adelaide  South Australia
Posts: 246
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jackson View Post
Wow Gravel, I bet after nine months of rehab, that must have scared you a little bit. Hope that you are ok. Great news for my FOUR WEEK post op visit with the surgeon. He has released me from the sling. I really thought I was never getting out of that thing, I'll take that as my first victory in the many stages of rehab to come. I am still going to wear it in public because right after I left the Dr's office, I went to the box to get a bike ride in and was promptly slapped on the back of the shoulder (thank goodness it wasn't on the top or front). He was very sorry and totally forgot because the sling was not on giving him a visual reminder. Sleeping for now has been limited to lying on my back or on my non-repaired side. Waking up 2-3 times per night now with some mild pain. As for the PT, everything is on par except for the external rotation, but, without the rehab, there is no telling how long it would take to recover. I was wondering how I would know if I pulled an anchor or otherwise re-injured my shoulder and the Dr's answer was pretty simple. He said that I may feel a pull, pop, or some other pains, but not to worry. The scar tissue is also breaking up and after one of these events I should notice more ROM. If I regress in ROM in the next two days, I probably did some damage. Anyone feel free to comment on that if you like. Good luck everyone on your recoveries.
Yeah its very frustrating being this far along and still feeling some pain but im starting to get used to it. Its happened a few times now and its just a matter of listening to my body, resting for a week or so, and then it usually goes back to feeling good again.

As far as knowing if youve re-torn anything or blown an anchor: i must have asked my surgeon and PT that question at least 20 times over the past 9 months. They said that pops, cracks and pulls etc are completely normal. They both said the same thing about a retear... "dont worry, if you re-tear it youll definitely know about it!!". They said that a retear is always something that you will feel immediately when it happens, not a few days later. If you re-tear it will be an immediate chronic pain followed by your shoulder feeling very sloppy and unstable.

Thats the advice i was given anyhow. I was, and still am, so paranoid about re-tearing its not funny... keeps me careful though so i guess its kind of a good thing.

Sounds like your recovery is going well. Youll move ahead in leaps and bounds now that youre out of the sling. Amazing how much faster the recovery feels once youre sling free. Keep it up mate.

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #217
Carline Saintilien
Member Carline Saintilien is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Corona  NY
Posts: 35
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Hello Gravel,

Do you recall being able to engage in lower body exercise at 5.5 weeks post op? As far as activity, the most I've done is light housework and walking around my neighborhood. Like would a cycling class be a big no, no at 5.5 weeks post-op?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #218
Gravel Brown
Member Gravel Brown is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Adelaide  South Australia
Posts: 246
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carline Saintilien View Post
Hello Gravel,

Do you recall being able to engage in lower body exercise at 5.5 weeks post op? As far as activity, the most I've done is light housework and walking around my neighborhood. Like would a cycling class be a big no, no at 5.5 weeks post-op?
I did a lot of long walking (5-8km) between week 2 and week 8. I was told not to start running until week 8 as the jarring may affect the sutures from holding / knitting. I was in a sling for 8 weeks anyhow so running was too awkward and hurt too much. At 8 weeks i started doing a lot of interval running... i was itching to get back into some kind of fitness regime after not doing much for 8 weeks.

As far as cycling goes (static exercise bike), i cant see too much of a problem with it, its a pretty controlled exercise. I guess you might just have to be careful not to get out of the seat whilst spinning as youll probably find trying to hold your body weight on the handlebars difficult. I cant see an issue with spinning whilst sitting in the seat. The other advantage that cycling may have is there is minimal jarring so youll likely feel less pain.

At 8 weeks you can safely start running again. I also found that starting to run again helped loosen up the stiffness in my shoulder. The swinging motion of the arm seems to get things mobile again.

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #219
Carline Saintilien
Member Carline Saintilien is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Corona  NY
Posts: 35
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
I did a lot of long walking (5-8km) between week 2 and week 8. I was told not to start running until week 8 as the jarring may affect the sutures from holding / knitting. I was in a sling for 8 weeks anyhow so running was too awkward and hurt too much. At 8 weeks i started doing a lot of interval running... i was itching to get back into some kind of fitness regime after not doing much for 8 weeks.

As far as cycling goes (static exercise bike), i cant see too much of a problem with it, its a pretty controlled exercise. I guess you might just have to be careful not to get out of the seat whilst spinning as youll probably find trying to hold your body weight on the handlebars difficult. I cant see an issue with spinning whilst sitting in the seat. The other advantage that cycling may have is there is minimal jarring so youll likely feel less pain.

At 8 weeks you can safely start running again. I also found that starting to run again helped loosen up the stiffness in my shoulder. The swinging motion of the arm seems to get things mobile again.

Thank you for your feedback. I think I may have done something wrong. Late thursday and all day friday I had this gnawing, sharp pain right at the joint. But also my biceps, elbow was bothering me too. Last night, I noticed my clavicle felt different on the side of my bad arm vs the non surgical arm. I've been using Mederma on the scar and gently massaging it. My MD said Mederma application is fine but I wonder if massaging the area is okay. I've read thats a good way to manage scars.

I've been doing very light housework. If I carry anything heavy, its on the non-surgical side. Also, early this week I sort of ran to catch up to friend. No sprinting. It was sort of like fast walking/skipping to catch a bus or something (not sure I know how to describe).

Since late thursday, I've been taking it easy but I am so worried I've had a setback. I have a f/u with my doc next week. The suspense is killing me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #220
Carline Saintilien
Member Carline Saintilien is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Corona  NY
Posts: 35
Re: My SLAP Journey...

I just realized the muscles that attach to the clavicle must have atrophied. Right?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slap Tear Arthur Sheldon Injuries 37 11-19-2011 06:30 PM
SLAP tear Angel Rivera Injuries 1 04-04-2011 06:28 PM
SLAP questions Tricia Magrini Injuries 10 01-11-2011 06:02 PM
Should I do SLAP surgery? Bill Rogers Injuries 16 07-21-2010 01:57 PM
SLAP tear Greg Battaglia Injuries 7 09-20-2006 01:36 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.