CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
Alex Burden

Profile:
How do you measure your fitness? how much you can do on a good day or how much you can do on a bad day?

Quite simple - How do you measure your fitness?

Do you measure it by all of your PR's and how good your times/weights are?

Or do you measure it on what you can do on a bad day?

What do you think is important...?

Myself - i measure myself up to everyone else when i have a bad day, sort of measure my worst level on a bad day. I know if i am doing ok if i can beat most of my friends even when i am having a really bad day.

A PR is great to have but i am only as good as my last workout.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Price Goosby

Profile:
Re: How do you measure your fitness? how much you can do on a good day or how much you can do on a bad day?

I guess my test personally would be my weekend morning workouts.

Usually around 7AM right out of bed before I've eaten. How good am I when I'm starting out with nothing in the tank? It gives me a base of where I should be at when I'm actually awake and ready to go.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: How do you measure your fitness? how much you can do on a good day or how much you can do on a bad day?

I think it's a mistake to measure your fitness based on just one point in time. Anyone can have a good day or a bad day. I much prefer to observe whether or not I am gradually improving over time on key numbers that I care about.

- Mark
Old 04-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I think it's a mistake to measure your fitness based on just one point in time. Anyone can have a good day or a bad day. I much prefer to observe whether or not I am gradually improving over time on key numbers that I care about.
agreed
Old 04-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #5
Alex Burden

Profile:

Maybe a little explaination from me then... as to what i mean.

On a bad day i can beat most of my friends in a wod. Now what this means is that my worse day level is very high compared to many others.

I like to keep my worse level on any given day to a high standard.. thus this is a good measurement of how i am doing. I try to avoid large dips in my fitness and keep the difference between my best day, average day and worse day to a minimum.

Thus knowing where i am at all times.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Do you have large variances in your performance? If so, the better question would be to ask yourself why.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Do you have large variances in your performance? If so, the better question would be to ask yourself why.
I don't but it would be nice to know how others are