CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Sebastian Gedin

Profile:
Re: Reaching the RX weights

Will do!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

Just for a different perspective, I too wanted to reach RX weight for a long time. Instead of a strength program, I started choosing to do WOD's using weight that were heavy for me a bit at a time. Maybe I would do 3 rounds at the heavier weight instead of 5. Or maybe some days I would do more weight than I was used to, but less than the RX weight. This is how I built up strength until I could reach the RX weight full time.

It took me about a year, but I got there. I don't think it's too bad considering when I started I didn't think I'd ever be able to do what I do now.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Another slightly different perspective....

Don't shoot for RX weights.

Constantly shoot for getting stronger and more conditioned. If you do that, you will eventually hit RX weights.

IMHO, the problem with shooting for RX weights (and getting the kinda unavoidable ego boost that comes with it) is that it could cause you to make bad decisions; i.e. doing more weight than you really should on a WOD, sacrificing technique, neglecting other facets of fitness in the chase for higher weights, etc....

If you just constantly shoot for bite-sized improvements, you will hit the RX weights in due time. And, when you do, you'll just keep going. If your goal is RX weight, then you could run the risk of becoming complacent once you get there.

- Mark
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Well said Mark. I would agree with "do not sacrifice form on a WOD for more weight". Not worth it...been there, done that

Dropping reps and adding weight is fine if you can hold form but I prefer most strength work to be done outside of a WOD.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Sebastian Gedin

Profile:

I definitely see your point Mark. I would never attempt to perform a WOD with higher weights than what is safe for me. The reasons why I'm aiming for the RX weights is so that I can for example perform the Open Workout for the games some day. I'm not really serious right now about wanting to compete but it would be fun to do the opens.

A little update on my progress: I'v been doing GOMAD and SS now for a week. I've followed SS very strictly. I have not managed to drink a gallon of milk every day but almost. And I have started to eat a lot more. So far I'm up around 4lb but it's probably going to slow down quite a bit from know on if I know my body right.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Gedin View Post
I definitely see your point Mark. I would never attempt to perform a WOD with higher weights than what is safe for me. The reasons why I'm aiming for the RX weights is so that I can for example perform the Open Workout for the games some day.
That's cool. My point is just to make it part of your journey, not your destination.

- Mark