CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Re: Suggestions for whey protein

Right now I'm a college student so I don't have enough time to spend cooking alot of chicken. I use protein shakes cause it takes no time cooking and all I do is mix it with water. Thanks for the help though guys. I will def. look into all the recommendations.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
Garrett Bartholme

Profile:

I use protein powder to make smoothies and baked goods too. It is up to the individual person to decide how pure their food consumption will be.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Bartholme View Post
I use protein powder to make smoothies and baked goods too. It is up to the individual person to decide how pure their food consumption will be.

Garrett;

Excellent point. My question is, since I seriously doubt that any of the Protein Powder resellers actually refine/process their own Whey, I would assume that they buy in bulk from Whey Processors. How do you know the quality or purity?

I would also think that price plays a factor, as this particular product is sometimes used as a lost leader. So, they might switch Vendors per price or availibilty.

So, how do you decide the purity of the product? The company might not be trusted or their Q/C procedures might be lax, worst yet, they might require the Whey processor to do the Q/C, the Government does not oversee these products ( which is neither good or bad, as that is another issue for different thread).

Again, when you open up your container of EAS, Designer, Optimum, GNC, what ever, how do you know what's the purity, any fillers, etc etc.

As to real food, I buy meat from local farmer and get to see these animals in the pastures before slaughter, buy local produce or fresh greens in store.

Food in plastic containers, or real food, your choice
Old 12-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Clark View Post
What makes the Nitrean blend special? It looks like regular whey isolate/concentrate blend with a small amount of casein peptides. It doesn't contain milk protein isolates or any casein worth mentioning. I could be wrong, but this product looks like fancy ON 100% Whey with a higher price tag.
64% whey with isolate being the primary fraction of whey
18% caseinates
18% egg protein
Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I've been looking into the AtLarge Nitrean that Anthony mentioned. I think that looks like a solid bet.

I haven't seen it around, but I don't really look either. I know that Optimum Nutrition gold Standard is always a good way to go. It tastes good, especially compared to GNC's and it's an isolate, making it a bit easier on the gut.

edit:

Be sure to check the label and how many "servings" per container. Some will only have like 13/14 servings, but each serving is a huge amount of protein. Optimum is 24 g's /scoop(serving). Measure it out for how much YOU need per meal/shake/snack.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #16
Dave Matteson

Profile:

I've been pleased with Designer Whey by Next Proteins. It mixes easily, I've had no GI symptoms, and the taste is pretty good. Been using it for over a year and coupled with crossfit, I've had good results. I buy it through netrition.com, direct WFS link is:
http://www26.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=42
Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #17
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
[/url] (hardcore BB forum) and get additional % discount (many people there have a discount code in their signature, if you use it for your order they will get points and you will get a discount). The owner of this company is a hardcore bodybuilder himself (Dante, the inventor of Dogcrapp BB system) and a coach. You can be sure that the stuff he is selling will never be "made in China", people on this forum trust him like here everyone trusts in Coach.
Dude, not for nothing but most people involved in the underground world of the bodybuilding message boards know Doggcrapp "Dante" is a big roid user and pusher himself. Don't kid your self. The protein supplements, online coaching, and customized diets (Swolecat comes to mind) is one big front. Nothing but smoke and mirrors my friend for what is really going on behind the scenes. When you're running 4 cc's of test, 100 mgs of anadrol, 1000 iu's of gh, and 500mgs of deca a week...do you really think they care about the quality of protein supplement they are using? Whatever has the best markup is what sells....
Old 12-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
Hmmm... Do you guys call whey protein junk only because it is "processed"?
Processed is a very broad term to eliminate foods based on that criteria (almost any supplement is "processed" which is very different process for different substances). If you have serious proof that whey protein way of production makes it useless/harmful or the protein itself is Useless/harmful, please share it, I would really like to hear it.
Empirical evidence is enough for me. Besides most of the studies on supplements are funded by the supplement companies so it is not like it really matters anyway. If something doesn't work, I discard it..simple as that.

Drink protein shake-->fart like a champ for a good hour afterwards-->another hour later I end up pooping it out (only go in the morning so I know something was wrong). Not to mention the fact that my body comp shifted and performance took off since completely dropping shakes from my diet. Coincidence? Could be. Also notice other changes to my health but don't want to bore ya. Try it for yourself and see what happens. In fact it is free of charge (even save you a few bucks).

Drop it from your diet for at least two months. Then reintroduce back into your body. Takes notes.

You might be surprised. I know I was (and coming from a bodybuilding background this was not easy...never leaving the house without a protein shake in my hand or a tubberware of food in a bag). God forbid I didn't eat every two hours on the clock I'd probably melt on the spot lol.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #19
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Dude, not for nothing but most people involved in the underground world of the bodybuilding message boards know Doggcrapp "Dante" is a big roid user and pusher himself. Don't kid your self. The protein supplements, online coaching, and customized diets (Swolecat comes to mind) is one big front. Nothing but smoke and mirrors my friend for what is really going on behind the scenes. When you're running 4 cc's of test, 100 mgs of anadrol, 1000 iu's of gh, and 500mgs of deca a week...do you really think they care about the quality of protein supplement they are using? Whatever has the best markup is what sells....
you are right about drugs, no doubt about it. Although I met many people on that forum who were clean and I myself got very good results with his system staying clean. As for protein quality, it is not the cheapest out there, but they claim to provide the best quality $$$ can buy. But who can verify that, same goes for any other company though. Why I trust him? Because 90% of his clients are users from that forum and he can loose all of them with just one bad review, I do not think he can afford that. I saw many positive reviews though when I was digging into it.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 12-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #20
Will Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
64% whey with isolate being the primary fraction of whey
18% caseinates
18% egg protein
Sounds like a decent product. Where exactly did you get those numbers? I looked at the ingredient list, and it didn't specify what percentage of each protein the mixture contained. I'm also in the market for a new protein powder. I feel that quality is more important that quantity. So far I've narrowed it down to Biotest's Metabolic Drive, but Nitrean is a bit cheaper. I'm just on the fence over the casein to whey ratio.