CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I cannot get hungry anymore.

This isn't really an injury (I don't think), but I don't know where else to post this. Web MD wasn't able to provide any answers. I won’t be able to see a regular doctor for weeks (HMO).

Starting last Wed I woke up feeling full. No problem, I have been doing intermittent fasting for a few months anyway. "I'll skip breakfast" I thought. I did have a little eggnog in my chai tea (maybe 1 cup of 'nog).

Then I skipped lunch and dinner. I was suffering severe stomach cramps throughout the day, and they were only getting worse. The cramps were most likely due to a mild lactose intolerance I have. But I wasn’t hungry even if I didn’t have the pain, and I have never had cramps for 12 hours after having dairy. After not eating for more than 48 hours I started to get worried.

After conversing with the doctor on the phone, he convinced me to go to the ER to make sure I wasn’t in any danger (appendicitis (sp?) was the main worry). Docs in the ER couldn’t figure what was wrong, but they did give me an IV for fluids and determined that I wasn’t in any immediate danger.

It has been almost a week now, and I have been able to live with this. I have not had any major cramps since the first day (making me think that the pain was from the dairy). As long as I force myself eat small meals, I can function reasonably. Even through 3 family Christmas parties, I was not hungry and couldn't hardly eat. I am currently eating about 1/3 of what I was eating before (see: not enough).

The main symptom is a feeling of over-fullness all the time. It feels like I just finished eating at an “all you can eat” buffet full of my favorite foods no matter when I ate last. Even after 48 hours of nothing but a little water and some 'nog laced tea. If I try to eat a ‘normal’ amount of food, I end up getting nauseous (like I am cramming food into a full stomach). I will even start to ‘burp’ it back up. Acid reflux tends to follow every meal regardless of what I eat.

I have been avoiding working out due to a near constant headache and a lack of energy. I have been dropping weight slowly (just a couple pounds a day so far). I can’t seem to breathe as deeply as before because of the ‘full’ feeling I always have.

Before the symptoms, I did not eat anything out of the ordinary (my wife ate the same meal she prepared and is fine - beef roast and steamed broccoli). I wasn’t working out on anything out of the ordinary and felt fine the night before after doing a ‘power’ focus workout (lots of box jumps, BW deadlifts, and two-footed hops). My body took forever to get over the DOMS, probably due to malnutrition, but now I am okay soreness wise.

This seems like it could be the perfect diet for those who want to loose weight and don’t exercise. I am the exact opposite, and I feel terrible. Does anyone have some ideas of what this could be? What I can do for research? What I can tell my Doctor to help him figure it out (when I see him . . .someday)?

BW: 185 (and dropping)
HT: 6’ 4”
BF: 7 – 9%
Old 12-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Did you get any imaging or labs done at the ER?

Sounds like a bad "bug" got in you somehow.

Are you on any supps or meds?

What type of foods bother you the least? Pro/Fat/Carbs etc.?

Had you been having that egg nog prior to the first 'attack'?

Feel free to PM me, I would need to ask you some questions regarding BM's that may be better off-list.

Garrett
Old 12-27-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
David Birozy

Profile:
Just a SWAG - how about a hiatal hernia? They are common in weight lifters. Sounds like something is going on with the stomach. On occasion are you throwing up after the "cramping" or feeling like the food is getting stuck behind your sternum? If so, how about a Schatzki Ring or other stricture and/or obstruction of the stomach?

Once you get to the MD you may end up with a referral to a gastroenterologist along with a x-ray, barium swallow and/or endoscopy. None of them are too horrible.

If you don't want to weight a few weeks, does your HMO have an urgent care or same day appointment?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:50 AM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
"(just a couple pounds a day so far)"

For someone like me who has to fight just to gain a pound every week or two, losing a couple pounds a day would be cause for alarm.

I think David's ideas make sense.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
The physical/structural problem ideas that David posted are very possible. Basically, you really need to get some kind of imaging done. If it is a hiatal hernia and you wish to know other options than the surgery that will likely be proposed, contact me or Google it.

Garrett
Old 12-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Read this, it does seem to cover your symptoms:

http://www.joyfullivingservices.com/hiatalhernia.html

Causes:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/h/hiat...ia/underly.htm

I think the stomach cramps might be interpreted as a diaphragm "spasm", trying to push the hernia back down in place. It would seem to have been a valiant failed attempt.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
"Did you get any imaging or labs done at the ER?

Sounds like a bad "bug" got in you somehow.

Are you on any supps or meds?

What type of foods bother you the least? Pro/Fat/Carbs etc.?

Had you been having that egg nog prior to the first 'attack'? "

No imaging done in the ER. Just blood samples and urine samples taken.

Fish oil, multi vitamin, Ca Mg Zn supplement at night, Glucosamine/Chrondroitin, Whey protein in my oatmeal most mornings, 4g of creatine daily. Pretty much your standard 'I do what Handsome Robb tells me to' diet.

The types of food don't seem to matter when it comes to aggravation.

I have been having the egg nog in my chai tea for weeks without problems.

my BMs have been pretty normal and regular (no odd colors, or textures that I can notice).

This Hiatal Hernia thing makes sense. I have just started taking Prilosec OTC to help with some of the reflux issues.

The one thing about the hernia that is not making too much sense for my condition is that I still breathe with my diaphragm. My shoulders/chest do not move when I breathe normally, and my stomach moves every breath.

More research is in order on my part.

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it.

(Message edited by jjones on December 28, 2005)
Old 12-29-2005, 09:35 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I think there is a possibility you had the hiatal hernia before (which caused you to get the Prilosec) and that the Prilosec may have caused you to go further, faster.

As for the diaphragm, the esophagus runs through a "hole" in it, a hiatal hernia is due to that hole not being sound or tight enough. It doesn't have much to do with whether or not you breathe from your diaphragm. Your stomach cramps could have also been your stomach spasming, trying not to let itself through the diaphragm.

Can you palpate a sort of knot underneath or around your xiphoid process? You know, in the upside down V area between your L & R lower rib cage? If you find one, is it always there?

Have you had other GI issues in the past?

Old 01-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
Mike Moore

Profile:
Jeremy - How long has this been going on? Is your problem more lack of appetite (never feel hungry) or early satiety (you feel full after eating very little)?

PS - Got any of that yummy roast beef left over?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Jeremy,
It's been a while, have you recovered or is this still going on?