CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
John Falco

Profile:
Marketing your box

Hey everyone,

Had a question for those who own/operate a CrossFit box...

Trying to decide on a marketing strategy to advertise our gym. It's in a strip mall, which experiences a lot of traffic (both drivers and those on foot). Anyone have any success with specific kinds of marketing, for example, flyers? Trying to get an idea of what works best in getting our name out there.

And if you don't own or operate a gym, I'd still love to hear what attracts your attention when looking for a box to work out at.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Adam Morden

Profile:
Re: Marketing your box

It's really almost been completely word of mouth and people finding us on the internet - we tried print ads and flyers. The only ones that worked for us were simple big font text only posters we put up on telephone poles all around our box (about a 4 block radius)

Cheers
Adam
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Guillermo Sander

Profile:

Flyers mostly go to the trash.
Some ideas for you...
Leverage your location by having workouts outside (to get the attention of passers-by).
Keep posting interesting stuff and even the WOD in you facebook page and post a lot of pictures tagging your athletes and posting comments - all their friends will see it.
Host Holliday (memorial day Murph) and other open work-outs (the games a re a great excuse) where people are encouraged to bring their friends - make sure to invite local firemen and police to join in the fun.
Reebok and other sporting goods stores have a board where they promote local Gyms - Get on it.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Mike Mollin

Profile:

word of mouth, T-Shirts and Sweatshirts are free advertising, host an introductory challenge at a reduced rate to get people in the door
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Michael MacDowell

Profile:

Guillermo - regarding this statement "Keep posting interesting stuff and even the WOD in you facebook page and post a lot of pictures tagging your athletes and posting comments - all their friends will see it."... maybe I'm just not as savvy as I thought but I have a page for my box on Facebook under my personal account. It's separate from my personal but needed to be setup this way.

All that said, it's working just fine except for one thing. I take pictures and try to tag athletes but when I start typing their names fb won't find them??? Even if they "like" my box's fb page it still isn't finding them. I want to tag people in all my pics for just the reasons you mentioned.

Any help from anyone here would be greatly appreciated!

Box is one month old and doing fantastic. This forum has been a great help to me.

Thank you all!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Josh Bailey

Profile:

Normally, with me, that has to do with internet connection speed. If I am not connected well, it won´t find them or it takes FOREVER.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Guillermo Sander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael MacDowell View Post
All that said, it's working just fine except for one thing. I take pictures and try to tag athletes but when I start typing their names fb won't find them??? Even if they "like" my box's fb page it still isn't finding them. I want to tag people in all my pics for just the reasons you mentioned.

Any help from anyone here would be greatly appreciated!

Box is one month old and doing fantastic. This forum has been a great help to me.

Thank you all!
Ask your customers to LIKE your GYM page, it speeds things up a little.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Michael MacDowell

Profile:

Thanks for the tips.

The people I'm trying to tag have already liked my box. Still I type and the list doesn't include them. I'm at a loss.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Jason Spradlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael MacDowell View Post
Thanks for the tips.

The people I'm trying to tag have already liked my box. Still I type and the list doesn't include them. I'm at a loss.
Mike, since you helped me out this morning, maybe I can return the favor.

Here's what I've found from working with the FB page for my wife's business. You can not tag your fans(people that like your page) on a business FB page, such as the one set up for your box. Your athletes could tag themselves in your pictures though. You could ask them to start tagging themselves in the pics you post. That would probably be the best way to handle it.

FB is a good tool to promote a bx or other business, but the way the business pages work as opposed to personal pages don't make a lot of sense sometimes. I think this issue comes from some of the privacy changes FB has made recently.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Rich Case

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Spradlin View Post
You can not tag your fans(people that like your page) on a business FB page, such as the one set up for your box.
When I'm on my business page up along the top it says "You are posting, commenting, and liking as Crossfit North Carrollton — Change to Rich Case" When in that mode I can't tag people during the upload of the pictures, it seems like it will allow it, but it doesn't save the name, it is weird. It does work that once I upload and Post the pics I can then go in and view them, and during the view of the picture there is the Tag Photo option which then does work while I'm using as the business page.

If I "change to Rich Case" and then try to upload I can tag at that time, but can only upload 1 pic at a time, and it doesn't go right to the main feed, it goes to the Recent Posts by Others on Crossfit North Carrollton section.

It isn't the most direct route, but this is how I've been uploading and tagging my pictures.

FWIW.

Good luck.