CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Joshua Morgan

Profile:
Phys ed warm up

I teach a phys ed class for 6th-12th graders both male and female all thrown together. I have each student 2-3 times a week. I'm looking for some feedback and ideas on how to change my warm ups.

The kids have varying strength levels due to the pure differences in male vs female and older vs younger. I also might have basketball/volleyball/grappling/soccer athletes in the same class as an obese 6th grade girl that doesn't leave her couch.

At the moment, it looks like:
10 jumping jacks, 5 push ups, 10 crunches, 20 mountain climbers, and 10 squat thrusts. We typically do this for 5 rounds.

Am I missing anything that I should add in or replace and should I tweak numbers?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Re: Phys ed warm up

You can always add in lunges, side to side/front to back hops over a line, running in place, arm circles, bear crawls, etc...

I would create 3-4 different warmups to keep things fresh. You can have some kind of spin wheel for deciding which one you will utilize on that day. Another way is you label them a,b,c, and d(or w/e you want to use). Regardless, have a system that has some variety in it to keep students engaged and not left in boredom.

Just use your head when designing your warmups. Its all trial & error in reality, and randomness is beneficial to learning.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Nathan Kulas

Profile:
Re: Phys ed warm up

A couple laps around the gym!
27/m/68"/185# - 300 BP, 435 DL, 435 BS, 205 Clean, 100# wtd pull-up, 3:23 Fran, 22:50 Angie, 25 Cindy rds, 20:17 5K Row, 7:31 2K Row, 5:43 1 mile run