CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
I am a new dad and am averaging 5 to 6 hours of sleep per night. I am also finishing a masters degree in addition to work, coaching, and possibly a second job on the weekend. I have Saturday and Sunday to work out on most weekends. During the week I play basketball one night and if I am lucky I will have one night per week to work out. I would benefit from any tips and any advice from others that have been in this situation.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
It's been 9 years since my last child was born, but in the past few years I've been coping with a 3 hour daily commute, 10-11 hour days, while trying to exercise frequently and play hockey 2-4x per week. 5-6 hours would be about all I would get.

I'm sure everyone is different but here's my experience. The exercise is essential to keeping your body and mind up and running but at a certain point it can start to stress your body. There's this debate about "overtraining." In fact, I think the issue is more just excessive fatigue, whether caused by feeding the baby at 2am or deadlifts. If you start to get colds often, or feel miserable even after exercising, etc., then you're doing too much. But otherwise I would just go for it. I do think that a careful diet and no alcohol will help.

Bottom line: in your situation, it's much better to exercise than not exercise, but don't overdo it. I would think the short intense workouts of CF would be perfect.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

Profile:
As you probably already know, stress and lack of quality sleep are top enemies to any good fitness and nutrition program. Both blunt coritisol levels which can wreak havoc on your fat loss and muscle building efforts. Not to mention your overall health and mental well-being.

I'd really think about slowing down and possibly cutting out one your activities. They say stress is the "silent killer," even worse than bad diet and unhealthy lifestyle. NOW is the time to do something before its too late.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Ben,

If you want an article on shift work and exercise (which is pretty much the same sort of stress you are experiencing) email me at fitness@octogen.com.au and i'll send you one i wrote.

Basically if you want to maintain fitness on crap hours then some GTG strength work and a few short interval/CF sessions are the go.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Think of it less as overtraining and more as under-recovery. If you're not getting enough recovery to support your training (and you can't fit in any more recovery) then you need to drop your training some.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'll second all of the above and add, you must really take control of the things you can. Nutrition must be excellent, when you get sleep, the quality must be excellent. One of the cool things about CF is the home gym concept. Start making and buying home gym equipment. I have a 1.5 hour commute (each way) and 2 kids, with other responsibilities and workout 3/1, only because I have a gym in my basement. My workouts could only last 20 minutes...including "commute" warm-up, and workout. You say your a coach, is there ability to jump in with conditioning drills, or use some of you downtime at work to workout?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Stephen Solano

Profile:
Ben, I third the above posts. I would (depending on finances) bail on the possible second weekend job. By your post, weekends seems to be the only time you can workout. Save the weekends for your new family and crossfit.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #8
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Do you watch TV?
Old 03-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
Ben Jackson

Profile:
Thanks for the great replies.
I do get a little exercise at work. I am an elementary PE teacher, am on my feet and moving most of the day. I think the weekend job may have to be placed on a pending status. Class comes before work, but if I can't work I'll be replaced, so I'll have to work some weekends. The masters program will be complete by June, so the I will have my summer off to work the second job. Worst-case scenario, I work out one or two times per week until June and then get back on a normal routine, I guess. Paul, the only time I watch TV is during the 1:00 am bottle, mealtime, and a Saturday night DVD rental; other than that I might watch one hour of TV combined per week.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Ben,

I understand where you are coming from. I have a stressful job (8-12 shifts), a stressful home life, a pile of daily chores and work the farm five mornings a week from 6am-8am. I'm lucky to have four hours of sleep a night and if I'm real lucky I might get a short nap before work.

I think what keeps me from dropping over the edge is excellent nutrition, a home gym and zero TV hours. (Every extra hour is a nap if possible).

It's got to be incredibly rough for you as a new father....parenting has to be the toughest job of all. I second the ideas of having a home gym and doing what you can to free up some precious time for yourself.

Hang in there.