CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Justin Scarsella

Profile:
I have subscribed to men health for probably 2 years now. They have some pretty interesting information in there. I have been doing crossfit since nov 06 now.

Is it just me or recently, like the last 2 maybe 3 issues of mens health, have a lot of crossfit- esque articles and exercises. I know last months they had the 300 thing, but even this month, they talk about circuits, y squats which are just no bar over head squats and front squats.

Did anyone else notice this as well. By the way I dont like mens health as much now taht i can read the crossfit journal. Its just not full of bull like most of fitness magazines are.

Justin
Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
I agree... i just got this month's issue and there is one workout wih looks almost right out of crossfit.

Its funny though... since I've found crossfit I have been paying less and less attention the the magazine. Good thing the subscription was cheap.

(Message edited by stefan_b on March 26, 2007)
Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
Peter Keller

Profile:
I really dislike Men's Health (and most magazines), but I picked up this month's issue in the grocery store yesterday to browse whilst in line and I noticed the same thing.

It's a good thing for more of the masses to get exposed to some better exercises than the Men's Health standard, IMO.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
CrossFit has made some significant influences in gpp and functional fitness over the past few years. But don't be part of the crowd that claims everything as CrossFit. Overhead squats have been around forever and so have most of the movements we use.

CrossFit for better or worse is the definition we use and the way we put it together. Our tool box is vast, but we must not get into this we invented everything mentality. This simply lowers us to the status of pop fitness fad. We are not that crowd, at least lets try not to be!

Lets start keeping the threads here to topics relating to actual fitness and not qossip therein...
Old 03-27-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Sean Harrison

Profile:
It rarely had anything useful and I hated the target audience. It seemed like every second page was talking about ties and shoe combinations. Did you know you shouldn't wear an Oxford tie with wing tips? :doh: and every reader works in an office. Sorry.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I was a regular reader of Men's Health back in the early 90's but then it became like so many other magazines. About 30 pages of content and 120 pages of ads. :angry000:
Old 03-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:
Pierre, 3 thumbs up for your post!

:biggrinthumb: :biggrinthumb: :biggrinthumb:
Old 03-27-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Pierre, I agree with you 100%. Things like OHS, circuit training, GPP are nothing new. This does not "belong" to us.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
I don't believe our new forum member said it "belonged to" or was "stolen from" CrossFit. He simply observed the similarity, which is both demonstrable and true.

Saying that there are similarities between baseball and softball is an observation of fact, with no implication that those $%^&* softball weenies "stole our game."

There is a weird "anti-CrossFit" vibe lately on the forum, which makes little sense. People seem to be looking for reasons to attack CF, references to CF, factual observations of similarities to CF, etc.

A bit odd, since this is, after all, the CF forum.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Well put Pierre!