CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Kevin Edwards

Profile:
Hello,
My name is Kevin and I started crossfit after reading the article in Mens Journal.
I have a couple of questions( surprise).
I do not have a pull up bar ,but I do have a total gym and I wonder if anyone has used a total gym for pull ups or any other exercise. I have even tried a variation of a ring pull up with it.
I was also wondering what is the beat way to handle a wod like
50 pull ups
50 push ups
50 squats etc.
I cant do 50 at a time.
I have been doing 10 pull ups then 10 pushups ,10 squats then back to 10 pull ups.
this way i have been able to do a total of 50 each vs trying to do the 50 all at once and being able to only do 7 or taking 2 hours to finish the whole thing.
I have a oylimpic weight set,total gym,bike,dumb bells,medicine ball.
one more question.
I do not have a box but have been using my weight bench up aganst a wall to jump on.any problems with that?
Thanks for your help and patience. I am excited to be part of this community
Kevin
Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Kevin,
Welcome to CrossFit. Last month my son Connor wrote an article for our CrossFit Kids Magazine and talked about how he used the total gym to work towards real pull ups. We've used one in our kids program with good results. Connor's PR is 53 I believe, Keegan my 12 year old recently cracked 60. Both started on the total gym. We also used our weight bench for box jumps for a long time.
Keep us up to date on your progress.
Jeff
Old 05-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Welcome aboard Kevin. Chalk up another CrossFitter to the written media, glad to have you with us. We invite questions and this is the place to ask them. Do make sure you go to the What is CrossFit section and read that and Foundations and go through this message board and read the sections that catch your eye...of course this section on Starting will be a great place to begin reading. On the right column of the main page is a listing of the affiliates, check out their sites as well for more great info.

Now, to your questions. Your workout looks much like Angie which is 100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 situps and 100 squats. I've done that in under 20 minutes but the supermen and woment of CrossFit are much faster than that. Don't let that intimidate you, instead get a big smile and say, "Yeah, I want to be able to do that." The proper method is to do all the pullups, then all the pushups all the way through, not to mix them up. Other workouts mix them up, this one is designed to see each event through to the end. What you may want to try as an entry level method is Angie .4 and do 40 of each and ad 10 reps every time you come back for a visit with Angie.

Weight bench against the wall is great. You can make your own box easily enough or you can go to a place that sells tractor tires and get a big tire for free...assuming you have a place to keep such a thing. You can use the tire to flip, roll, hit with a sledgejammer and of course to do jumps on. I have a workout called Road Rage we do with a big tire and two 25 pound D-balls. One D-ball on each side of the tire with room enough to flip it. Do a burpee on the ball, stand with the ball to a full squat clean, stand and jerk the ball overhead, slam the ball and then immediately jump on the tire. Jump back off, flip the tire over, jump into the tire, jump out the other side to the other ball. That was one. Now do that 10 times and you've got yourself quite a lung scorcher. Not exactly an entry level event but a great use of a tractor tire.

You have some Olympic weights...great, here is Coach Mike Burgener's seminar on Olympic lifting. You'll still want to go to the seminar of course.

Lot's to learn here on this website so get busy and read...but more importantly get busy and do the workouts. It will be a while before you can post decent times...and in some cases before you can even complete the workouts, but that is part of the fun. This is hard stuff.

Last edited by Eugene R. Allen; 10-02-2007 at 08:42 PM..
Old 05-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
Kevin Edwards

Profile:
Jeff,Eugene,
Thanks for the help.You guys are great in making a newbie fell welcomed.
About pull ups on the total gym. Do you think it better to do more at a lower level or less at max level?
Also, is there anybody in Virginia that can teach me crossfit exercises? I have looked and Washington D.c. or Raliegh N.C. seems to be the closest affelate to me. I was hoping someone local might have been to one of the seminars.
Just to let you know. I am 47, with years of martial arts and bad attempts of exercising from magazines. this stuff is great. I will be doing this from now on.
I have all the past issues of the journal and most of the performance menu ones also.
Thanks again
one more question:happy: you said keep in touch. do I start a new thread or keep adding to this one?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Welcome, Kevin

First of all, get a chin up bar. They cost $20 and screw into your doorway. There is no reason why you shouldn't have one. Even if you can only do one pullup, do one every time you walk underneath the bar. Soon, you'll be on your way. Read Pavel's article on Greasing the Groove.

Second, the total gym is okay, but not ideal. As for how many at what level? Do as many as you can at each level. Work toward max reps at the max resistance.

Even better than the home gym is getting some Jumpstretch bands and using them to assist you on your new chinup bar that you just installed.

Keep working at it and soon you'll be flying thru the workouts. As for your Angie variation, first do 100 pullups in as many sets as it takes, then do 100 pullups in as many sets as it takes, then 100 situps, then 100 squats. As you get better, you'll have less sets and less rest and shorter times.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
Kevin Edwards

Profile:
Thanks Keith,
That sounds like great advice
Kevin
Old 05-20-2006, 03:25 AM   #7
Patrick O'Neil

Profile:
Kevin, while I'm not familiar with the total gym, I'd say you have about everything you need, but you gotta be able to do pullups.

Best money I spent was on a squat rack that has a pull up bar built into it. Cost me less than $200 on ebay, fits easy into my garage. Lets me do real pullups and spots me on squats and the occasional bench press. I'd really consider it if you can spare the cash.

Welcome, you'll be doing Angie sub 15 mins before you know it!