CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
KEG

Profile:

I have been supplementing my diet with additional protein shakes twice a day (Optimum Nutrition, 52 grams per serving). I am 6'6" and weigh 232 lbs with maybe 11-12% body fat. I want to make sure my protein intake is sufficient enough to supply my body what it needs to continue muscle growth. From what I have read in the past that would be approx 1 1/2 to 2 grams protein per pound of body weight. I have not read Paleo books or Zone Diet yet but am I to assume that protein shakes are not effective? They are convenient and a good appetite suppressant when I want to eat bad things! I also keep dozens of hard-boiled eggs on hand and take them to work. I usually only the whites and occasionally the yolk. I am looking for some feedback on best approach to ensure I am getting enough protein in my daily diet. This community is great and I value everyone’s opinion.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
Ben Gimball

Profile:

KEG,

I recommend that you consume one gram of protein per pound of body weight, per day (at most). There is no solid evidence that taking in more than this will speed your muscle growth. It will, however speed the financial growth of the supplement company where you shop!
Old 03-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Ben, better watch out. GNC spies may be watching our every move!
Old 03-10-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
KEG

Profile:

I prefer to support the local Mom and Pop health food store rather than the big corporate conglomerates. Thanks for the info Ben, but I guess my question is does supplementing with whey protein go against the Paleo philosophy?
Old 03-10-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I don't follow Paleo, but I'm pretty sure whey protein powder isn't Paleo. While whey may be Paleo since it comes from milk, I doubt the powder is. Someone more infromed should comment on this but, now that I think about it I don't believe milk is paleo either. I use whey protein and love it. If it helps you to stick with a healthy eating plan Zone, NHE, Metabolic, and others I think it is good; particularly if you aren't getting enough protein in your daily diet or want to get in some quick protein after or before a workout.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:23 PM   #6
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
All dairy and grains are *non-paleo*. Thus, whey is
non-paleo.

That being said, I believe that whey has it's place, but it shouldn't be the primary source of protein or anything.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:28 AM   #7
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

As Kevin said, milk and its derivitives are not Paleo. I doubt we would've caught one of our Plaeo ancestors chasing down a wild animal to suckle.

I agree, whey can have its place in a properly designed training/nutrition regimen, so long as it is not the main source of protein. The thing to watch out for in protein powders is artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners. While whey itself may cause no harm, these lab produced products are no good.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:20 AM   #8
Ben Gimball

Profile:

You need to give up grasping at any sort of traditional methodologies-Simply do what works! There is no one system fits all. Whether it be a certain diet or training system all are flawed.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:16 AM   #9
KEG

Profile:

So are you saying my idea of starting a Krispey Kreme diet is flawed? Hey it worked for Jarret and Subway!

Kidding of course.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
KEG-

I would stay around the 1g/lb mark and follow a general Zone plan. This will bring your BF down to around 5% pretty quickly. Then add fat succh that your performance is solid, You will likely start adding quite a bit of muscle from there.

If dairy does not seem to bother you I would not wory about it being "non-paleo".

Robb