CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-29-2004, 07:57 PM   #11
KEG

Profile:

Sorry Lynne I misspelled your name. I hate when people do that to me.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #12
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I (and the folks I have sway over here in chico) follow the work of Kurtz and use dynamic stretches as a warmup and traditional static passive/active stretches in the cool down. Then we progress into low intensity slow modeling of the tasks we have at had for that WO. By the time this is done people are thouroughly warm and ready to go.

The functionality of the neuromuscular system while warm and well lubed from increased blood flow is amazingly different from cool, at rest muscle. I think this is really the key for injury prevention.
Robb
Old 03-30-2004, 01:58 AM   #13
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
KEG,
Thanks - that's a GIANT pet peeve but I try not to growl at folks about it!
Old 03-30-2004, 08:32 AM   #14
Emil Berengut

Profile:
are there any good sites with images of dynamic stretching?
Old 03-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #15
Ross Burke

Profile:
Why does it seem like this isn't an isolated case? So many other things in the area of fitness have been repeated so many times that they are common knowledge, yet they have either no evidence or little evidence behind them. And just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's true either.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:28 PM   #16
Carl Herzog

Profile:  
Actually,the "study" (really just a meta-analysis of previous studies) described in the original journal article doesn't say much of anything useful, except perhaps that better studies need to be done. Like a lot of published exercise physiology research, this should be a non-story.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:18 PM   #17
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Better studies need to be done and old assumptions need to be reexamined...

[face=courier new,courier]
"...researchers from the Kapooka Health Centre, the University of Sydney, and Charles Sturt University in Australia recently examined the effects of pre-exercise stretching on lower-limb injury over 11 weeks of training in 1538 subjects ranging in age from 17 to 35(2). This study was carried out with a particularly apt study group: army recruits undergoing basic training. Although army recruits are not necessarily Úlite athletes, they do undertake a rigidly controlled and strenuous programme of exercise during basic training, and they also sustain a high frequency of lower-limb injury(3). Thus, if stretching is really beneficial as an injury-preventer, one would expect to see its effects in a large group of military-service signees.

The 1538 recruits were randomly divided into stretching (735 individuals) and non-stretching groups (803). The Australian researchers decided to utilise a stretching programme comparable to the type of routine employed by many athletes and thus settled on 20 seconds of stretching for each of six key lower-limb muscles or muscle groups (the gastrocnemius, soleus, hamstrings, quadriceps muscles, hip adductors, and hip flexors) during warm-up. The chosen form of muscle unkinking was static stretching, in which a limb or portion of a limb is moved to close to the limit of its range of motion and then held in this stretched position, without continuous motion or overall body movement. Static stretching carried out in 20-second dosages has been shown to be effective at increasing joint range of motion(4) and at reducing muscular resistance to applied stretch(5).

The static stretches were interspersed with jogging and side-stepping activity during the warm-ups; naturally, individuals in the control group performed only jogging and side-stepping, without a hint of static stretching. During the 11-week period, 40 actual workouts were completed by the recruits, adding up to 50 total hours of hard physical effort. The training was divided into route marching (10 hours), running (10.5 hours), obstacle-course workouts (12.5 hours), circuit training (7.5 hours), swimming (four hours), and battle training (5.5 hours).

Over the course of the 11 weeks (and 60,000 total hours of training), 333 lower-limb injuries were recorded * 175 in the control group and 158 in the stretching recruits, which represented an overall injury rate of 5.5 injuries per 1000 hours of training. The three most common injuries were patellofemoral pain (67 cases), tibial stress fractures (56), and ankle sprains (46). As it turned out, stretching during warm-up had no statistically significant effect on the risk of injury, either for soft-tissue problems or bony disorders. Height and weight of the military personnel were also non-factors when it came to predicting injury."
[/face]
Old 03-31-2004, 03:44 PM   #18
Robert Wolf

Profile:
The shinny happy person inside me wants to say that exercise science is always trying to improve the lot of humanity, just like the rest the rest of the medical/research community.

When reality sets in I acknowledge that people in research positions need to justify their existence and so must be very creative in dreaming up new ways of saying the same thing. Or passing off something which is not quite accurate to continue their funding from whatever physio-ball, foam roll body-blade manufacturer is underwriting their grant.
Occasionally something new comes along but from where we are sitting how much could one improve upon: O-lifts, some gymnastics skills on the floor, P-bars and rings and various types of sprinting and throwing? Even in a non mixed modality system this athlete is going to be scary.

Used as a rehabilitation system these modalities perform miracles compared to the crap commonly in use.

I don’t want to get overly philosophical here but somewhere along the line medicine decided we were discordant parts and pieces with no real integration beyond a simple linearity. Medicine obviously was wrong.
Rehabilitation and athletic training was similarly infected by the bodybuilding parts and pieces approach.

Both situations share the feature that the efficacious programs/treatments require time, patience, and a high degree of understanding on the part of the coach/doctor/therapist. AND a sincere desire to put the patient/athlete first. This tends to be high in quality for all involved parties but low in profit compared to some other models.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant! I've been reading a book which has me pretty fired up. Some things are straight forward and obvious. Other things are counter intuitive. Luckily we have science and statistical analysis to tell the difference between enlightened intuition and misguided hopes...or financial interests.
Robb
Old 03-31-2004, 08:47 PM   #19
Mike Minium

Profile:
Robb,

What's the name of the book?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-01-2004, 07:10 AM   #20
Brian Hand

Profile:

Robb, I second that rant. Conflict of interest might be the most pervasive and pernicious disease in the world.