CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Phillip C. Boyd

Profile:
Greetings all. I've recently been suffering from what I believe to be achilles tendinitis. My left achilles is worse than the right. Lately, I've been waking up with both achilles feeling tight and painful. My first few steps feel like hot pokers are being stuck in my achilles, with the left far worse than the right.

Last week, my left knee started to feel really tight around the outside tendon. I've also been feeling discomfort when I have to squat (whether for workout purposes or just picking up things around the house). It's the same area where I had surgery 10 years ago to repair my left lateral meniscus. Does anyone think that the issue with my achilles is also causing issues with my knee?

Also, can anyone recommend a crossfit-friendly physio in the St. Louis area? The reason I say crossfit-friendly is b/c I went to a physio a few years back who 1) was not in good shape and 2) said deep squats were bad for the knees - I wasn't going to physio at the time for my knees.
Thanks for any insight and recommendations.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Phil,

My experience with my knees is that one problem somewhere in the leg can make all sorts of buggers anywhere in your body physically above it pop out. My injury was a poorly healed ACL sprain that eventually caused patellar tendonitis and chondromalacia and had just *barely* started to work its voodoo on my hip flexors on the same side before I saw an ortho.

My ortho basically explained to me that whenever something isn't working like it should, other parts of your body will work overtime unconsciously to make up the difference. While you'd need something on the order of an MRI and a gait analysis to really know for sure whether or not your Achilles is causing your knee problems, the answer is “probably.”
Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Phillip C. Boyd

Profile:
Darren,

Thanks for your insight. I think it's time to head to an ortho on this one.