CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Jason Paul Hussey

Profile:
Confirming SS program

So I've been a crossfitter for a little while now, on and off again lately though.

Just got SS and have been reading it and wanted to confirm that the recommended SS program is M W F w/ Sa and Su off? Or whatever days you actually pick, but 3 workouts a week with 2 consecutive days off at the end of the cycle? Is that accurate?

And the workouts themselves are Squats/Bench Press/DL and Squats/Press/Clean? And these are all 5x5 right?

Is that it? Or am I missing something?
Old 01-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Tom Miller

Profile:
Re: Confirming SS program

Wrong.
read it again, its not 5x5, if you are confused by the book look up the starting strength wiki on google which has a explanation of everything covered in ss and pp.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Justin Baum

Profile:

yes that's it. 3 workouts/wk on non-consecutive days. 3X5 not 5X5 on most lifts and 1X5 if memory serves on deadlifts. i just started ss about two weeks ago after 1 year of cf.

this is a great supplement to the book

http://****************.wikia.com/wi...inner_ProgramsYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Last edited by Joshua Murphy; 01-27-2009 at 08:33 PM..
Old 01-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Aw Yong Yi Xiang

Profile:

Sorry OP, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, just through it's the same topic so i'll just use your thread. Also a question about SS program.

I'm been training for about 5 months and know my 5RM for those lifts, and plan to start on SS. So how do i start up? Do i start using empty bar and slowly increase my weights until the 5th week i reach my previous 5RM? So wouldn't the intensity of my first 4 weeks be very low? and i need to wait 5 weeks to actually reach high intensity training? Is that correct?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

You start with whatever weight you can preform 5 proper reps with.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Yong Yi Xiang View Post
Sorry OP, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, just through it's the same topic so i'll just use your thread. Also a question about SS program.

I'm been training for about 5 months and know my 5RM for those lifts, and plan to start on SS. So how do i start up? Do i start using empty bar and slowly increase my weights until the 5th week i reach my previous 5RM? So wouldn't the intensity of my first 4 weeks be very low? and i need to wait 5 weeks to actually reach high intensity training? Is that correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wengloski View Post
You start with whatever weight you can preform 5 proper reps with.
Nooooo. Start at approximately 80% of your 5 RM (may be higher or lower depending on your actual 5 RM) so that you will hit your previous 5 RM near the start of week 3 or end of week 2. So approximately 30-60 lbs below your 5 RM if you're incrementing 5-10 lbs per session respectively.

Proper ramp in provides the body time to start to adapt accordingly to the ever increasing loads.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
Victor Putz

Profile:

Well, actually the phrasing in the book is... (squat p.27)

Quote:
Go on up in weight, practicing good form and making sure to keep good depth, until the next jump up would alter your form, and do two more sets there, for a total of three sets across with the heaviest weight. And that is the first squat workout.
...(bench p.74)...

Quote:
Add weight a little at a time... until the bar speed begins to slow and form starts to change. Stay there for two more sets of five, and that is the first workout.
...etc. So the book phrasing is a bit waffly depending on interpretation (is it "as soon as the bar speed begins to slow", which I can bet is around 80% of 5RM, or "when form breaks down", which is probably closer).

Either way, it's not an empty bar and it's not 5RM. Since you add weight every workout (not every week), I'd start on the low side for adaptation; you'll get to your max fast enough.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:25 AM   #8
Alex Europa

Profile:

The rep scheme is:

Squats/Press/Bench = 3 sets of 5 (i.e.: 3x5)
Power Clean = 5 sets of 3 (i.e.: 5x3)
Deadlift = 1 set of 5 (i.e.: 1x5)

Also, a GREAT resource for SS info (as well as countless Rip-isms) is Rip's Forum over at ************ (W/F/S).

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa; 01-25-2009 at 03:27 AM..
Old 01-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Putz View Post
Well, actually the phrasing in the book is... (squat p.27)

...(bench p.74)...

...etc. So the book phrasing is a bit waffly depending on interpretation (is it "as soon as the bar speed begins to slow", which I can bet is around 80% of 5RM, or "when form breaks down", which is probably closer).

Either way, it's not an empty bar and it's not 5RM. Since you add weight every workout (not every week), I'd start on the low side for adaptation; you'll get to your max fast enough.
And there you go.

---------------

Also, I would suggest you film EVERY session if you don't have someone on hand who knows the technique to correct your form. It's good to go back and see if your form is deteriorating so you can concentrate on it more.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Aw Yong Yi Xiang

Profile:

Alright thank you guys.