CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Mitch Jensen

Profile:
what do you do when......

It's late and you haven't eaten dinner yet? Last night after my son's baseball game (7pm) we stopped at Sonic so the kids could eat. I chose not to because I didn't want to eat crap. I was going to wait until I got home and cleaned up. By the time those two things happened it was past 8pm. I try not to eat past 8 but I was also famished. I had a steak and veggies with a whey shake.

When it is past your normal dinner time and you haven't eaten yet and it's getting closer to bed time are there foods to avoid?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
adam adkins

Profile:
Re: what do you do when......

There is nothing wrong with eating at night. The "don't eat after Xpm" is a myth. You body doesn't care when you eat (for the most part).

With that said, eating late can mess with GH release while you sleep but given you were saying 8pm this shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I personally feel/run best not eating after 8pm as a general rule, but I wouldn't *not* eat dinner if I hadn't yet for the sake of the rule.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
James Chu

Profile:

I think it's different for each person regarding eating right before bed. I try not to do it because if I were to eat a large meal and go directly to bed, I get strange dreams.

In your situation, I would say that you know for next time to plan ahead with a snack or even a prepackaged meal if you know you're going to get back home late and may be subject to some temptation...

although, personally, I would have given in to a Strawberry Limeade...
Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Just eat!

Your letting timing get in the way when your body needs calories and nutrients? That sounds backwards to me.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I too am someone who tries not to eat right before sleeping. HOWEVER, if I haven't had dinner and it gets late... I would eat. The body needs it's fuel for recovery and keep making gains. I think whatever bad side-effects eating very late at night could have, could be worse than the side-effects of eating too little and overtraining and not do well on the workouts. But maybe I'm wrong...
Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Mitch Jensen

Profile:

thanks for the replies....very helpful.

when I eat junk/crap that's exactly how I feel. which is why I held off at Sonic. good to know that is a myth about eating right before bed.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
David Wallach

Profile:

You could have ordered a double burger with double bacon and extra lettuce and tomato and eaten only what's between the covers. Problem solved, if in fact there was any problem at all. For few hundred thousand years our ancestors often skipped a meal or three and got along just fine.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallach View Post
You could have ordered a double burger with double bacon and extra lettuce and tomato and eaten only what's between the covers.
+1, if I'm out and about and starving the first place i hit is a burger place or a diner and just hold the bun and fries. Unless of course BEING around that food will lead you to EATING that food.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Gene Pires

Profile:

sonic is not good enough for you but good enough for your kids? Maybe you should be reconsidering what you give your kids instead of worrying about your late night dinners.

I say this as a father who struggling with making my 4yo kid eat better.